Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I talked to Jay on spark plugs. Jay told me to get the Bosch

Customer Question

Hi, this is Lori. I talked to Jay on spark plugs. Jay told me to get the Bosch plugs out and put NGK plugs. Did that. Lost low beams. Still mis fire. Needed battery. Put in gold battery for g35. Still no low beams. Have mis fire on cylinder 4. Changed ignition coil. Still mis fire. No low beams. Did compression test. It was 12.5. All fuel injectors working. Only one mis firing is cylinder 4. Have engine torn down to fuel injectors. When we put in the battery, lost headlights, but have high beams. We thought maybe the module is bad.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

I don't see the previous question were we spoke on your account? Please give me some more details on your issue and what I said since I have nothing to reference.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Had cylinders 4 and 6 misfire. Put bosch plugs in . Took them out , put NGK's in . Battery was bad. Put in new battery. Now no low beams . Bad ignition coil on 4, replaced that. Alternator at 12.5 . Did compression test. It;s good . Still misfire on 4
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Wow.. Ok...

Lets start with one thing at a time.

First with the car running and a volt meter on the battery you are only getting 12.5 volts?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Also, did you try swapping the coil from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 to see if the misfire would follow the coil?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Battery is at 14. Compression test is 12.5 Fuel injectors spraying. No low beams
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Switched 4 & 6 it didn't change
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

When you do the compression test, are you disabling the fuel system?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Son did it . I'm not sure
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No he didn't
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Well first thing you need to do when you do a compression test it to disable the fuel system. Failure to do so would allow the fuel to enter the cylinder while doing the test, and since it can't be burned it washes out the cylinder walls, which lowers compression.

So this will need to be rechecked if the fuel system was not disabled.

To disable it, pull the IPDM out and pull the fuel pump fuse. While you have the IPDM out, check the low beam fuses to see if they are getting power when the head lights are turned on and see if those fuses are blown.

Do you know where the IPDM is located?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
checked fuses, they were ok.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now there is also no 3rd brake light
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The 3rd brake lights do tend to go on these cars. So that is most likely why that is not working.

Do you have a test light?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the fuel injector test was 12.5 . I mixed it up. Compression was 120, why no lights?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

If you have a Test light, and you turn the head lights on, does both sides of each low beam head light fuse have power?

Compression test needs to be redone since the fuel system was not disabled.

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The 12.5 is what the injector ohms at?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
After putting in a new battery, I lost my low beams and 3rd light Yes on the injector ohms
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We thought about changing all fuel injectors
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

3rd brake lights as I said are common on these cars. So that is most likely a bad 3rd brake light.

The head lights, we need to check to see if those fuses are getting power when the head lights are on. If they are then more advanced electrical tests need to be done to determined what is going on with the lights.

When you changed the battery, if you removed the battery terminals in the incorrect sequence and installed them in the incorrect sequence you can cause a voltage surge. The sequence to remove is Negative first, then Positive. When installing, is Positive First and then Negative.

I am technically limited to one topic per question. I am willing to help you with the head light issue, and the cylinder 4 misfire issue, but we need to work on one issue at a time. So which one do you want to start with?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
mis fire
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The guy at Advanced Auto did our battery
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Ok.. With this misfire issue. What I would like you to do is recheck the compression after pulling the fuel pump fuse and running the car out of gas.

You will need Noid lights as well to check your injector pulse. We need to see what the noid light is doing as far as injector pulse and compare it to cylinder 2 and 6 to see if 4 is flashing the same way. You want to check injector pulse while you still have the fuel system disabled. A noid light kit is around 20 bucks. Here is how it looks when you are checking it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJKILEvWvFc

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I will hold this question open till you can properly check this. But you will need to return back to this question with the results. Please do not open a new question. Other wise you may get additional charges..

Ok?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Son isn't home now . he won't do nothing till tomorrow. Sorry about that.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Car is torn down to the fuel injectors.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That is not a problem. I can keep this question open till he can check it. You only need to return back to this question to return with the results.

Does that work for you? You can also speak with me if you feel you need to. That option is available through our Premium Service.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
How do I get back to this question?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Your user name and password ***** have been emailed to you. So all you would need to do is log back into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks. Bye
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Have a good night.

Thanks Jay!