Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I was driving my car and suddenly I couldn't give gas to the

Customer Question

I was driving my car and suddenly I couldn't give gas to the engine, so it shut off. I coasted to the side of the road. All the lights were still on and no check engine light
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I started it after 5 minutes and was able to give it gas. I would put it in neutral while at stop lights and was able to apply gas when it was time to go. My problem is that it's in the shop and they put it on the machine and they are unable to identify the problem.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: I wish I could fix it myself...
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: no, I take good care of handling all of the maintenance when time. I had no warning or indication that there was something wrong
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What year and Model Infiniti is this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2008 fx35
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Did it turn off like someone turned off the ignition? or like it ran out of gas?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Like it ran out of gas
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

How much gas is in the vehicle?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
3/4 of a tank
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you recall a Service Engine Soon light on before the vehicle stalled?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No cause I already had it serviced. There were no indicators lights on
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

After the car started back up, has it been fine since?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took it into the shop and they haven't been able to find the problem.. It's fine now
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Well this is what I would look at. First I would check to see what kind of air filter you have. If its after market, it can weather and allow dirt and debris past the air filter where if a piece of dirt or something gets on the MAF sensor, it can cause this exact thing. Here is a image of a Factory Air Filter and a After market one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Air%20Filters%20Factory%20and%20after%20market.jpg

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a After Market Air filter?