Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

1999 infinity i30, no reverse and car moves forward in

Customer Question

1999 infinity i30, no reverse and car moves forward in nuetral, just serviced new fluid and new transmission filter
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Infiniti. The Infiniti Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: 1999 infinity i30 transmission serviced yesterday plus new filter, now no reverse and car moves forward in nuetral
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: if possible, yes
JA: Is there anything else the Infiniti Mechanic should be aware of about your Infiniti?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Infiniti Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This may sound odd, but your transmission has what they call a Forward clutch for the forward gears and a reverse clutch for the reverse gears. It sounds like the reverse clutch has either failed, or something in the forward clutch operation has broke, locking it's engagement which is why it wants to move forward in neutral. This is more likely due to a internal failure in the transmission. So I am just preparing you on what to expect. I would take this to a Trans shop since they specialize in transmission repairs to have this verified.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
my wife bottomed out the car rupturing transmission pan, is it possible she bent an external linkage? where is the external linkage located?
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Well the valve body could be damaged. Which can certainly affect transmission operation. I would have the transmission pan removed and inspect for damage. Then go from there. That will require a visual inspect to determine if that is your issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
please reply
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

I replied.. Do you have any more questions on this?