Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I'm having this same issue with my 03 q45. It started last

Customer Question

I'm having this same issue with my 03 q45. It started last week and the screen will come on momentarily with all function usage only to go out again. So this is the AV and NAVI control unit that needs to be replaced, or could there be an alternative solution?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Defrost button will work while nothing else functions. Aside from that the entire panel doesn't function. Oh, the heat will work where I had it preset before the screen goes black.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Infiniti Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

How often does it do this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It started last week out of no where. The screen went blank and I turned the car off, then back on and it came on long enough to get the heat adjusted and turn the radio on before going out again.It came on this morning for less than 3 minutes and went back out. The defrost button works all the time but no other buttons on the panel. The heat will also come on at the place where I left it before the screen went out. There's apparent power to the screen seeing it comes on intermittently. Never had any problems until last week.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

This type of issue really will require hands on testing to isolate the issue, This could be a display control unit issue, or a AV unit issue. The proper steps would need to be determined to see which it is.

I know this is really not the info you want to hear. But this type of issue really requires someone at the dealer to diagnose for you.

If it's a AV unit, it would need to be sent out and repaired. Repair costs start at 299. That does not include the labor costs to remove the unit and install it. That is around 1 1/2 to 2 hours labor to do.

If it's the display, then you may want to see if you can find one used to install. A new one will cost you to much money.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What would the exact steps entail. I know the dealer is going to charge me an arm and a leg, but there are a few people I know who would be able to diagnosis with the proper direction of steps; especially seeing Infiniti's can be so fickle. That had to be the dumbest design to include so many important aspects of the car into what appears to be the hub of one unit. I'm no mechanic though so who knows.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

First I would look up to see if it has a self diag test. If that even would work.

The next step is to use a advanced level scanner to see see if the AV unit has any codes. The codes could point to the actual issue. Whether it's the Display control unit or the AV unit.

As far the dumb designing, they must have given that guy a promotion. The newer cars are much worse....lol