Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My '99 Infinity QX4 suddenly started a little lunge forward

Customer Question

My '99 Infinity QX4 suddenly started a little lunge forward as I turned off the ignition in "Park". What could be causing that? Never seen anything like that before.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

You mean you put the truck in park and when you turn the ignition off, the truck moves forward? or tries to?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

That is due to a bad torque converter. The torque converter stator is locked and not free wheeling when parked so it is holding pressure in the transmission against the park pole. Once you turn the truck off the torque converter stops spinning and pressure then releases off the park pole and the vehicle then rolls back a bit and settles. The torque converter would need to be replaced to resolve your issue. But if you can live with it, it would be much cheaper.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?