Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Have a 2002 Q45 the Car start run with jumper cables on it

Customer Question

Have a 2002 Q45 the Car start run with jumper cables on it we take the cables off runs for about 3 minutes then it dies we also have no dash lights or ignition lights when it does run for 2-3 minutes it has low lack of power
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

That is a indication of a bad Alternator. The Alternator should be able to produce a charge to keep the car running. Since the car will only run about 3 mins after a jump, that tells me that the alternator is not charging properly and the battery is weak. The Alternator will need to be replaced to resolve your issue, and the battery charged and checked and replace as needed.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The alternator is not bad there was a problem yesterday with the key fob and the security system ok well we got the key fob problem solved and now when the car starts it doesn't have any dash lights at all no ignition lights no sense no dash lights the lights up at all I have a code reader but I don't know how to read the codes the code I get is p0464 feel level sensor a circuit intermittent maybe you could tell me what that means that would be a big help
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

The fuel level sensor won't cause this. A alternator not charging properly can cause the lights not to come on and everything you are describing.

Did you try to see if the car will stay running as long as you leave the jumper cables on? Cause if it does, that verifies the Alternator is not charging.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
All the lights in the car work fine the headlights are by all those are fine its something electronic or with the with the relays what is the best way to reprogram the computer under do the battery cables
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's only the dash light the ignition lights gauges dash accessories just in the dash panel
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Can you please try to jump start the car and leave the jumper cables on it and see if it will stay running longer than 3 to 5 mins. Do you have a Volt Meter? If so, I can show you how to check to see if it is charging.

Do you have a test light? you are welcome to check all fuses.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I've checked all the fuses I have a voltmeter when I connects the jumper cables it stays running for as long as they're on there when they are removed it will only run for about 2 minutes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It all started yesterday with the key fob problem when it wouldn't turn in the ignition when finally. The key fob turned over key fob now works and the car does not
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Ok.. Then when you remove them, put the volt meter on the battery. You should see 14.3 volts if the alternator is charging. Keep in mind when the alternator is not charging properly, the car will run off the battery draining it. Turning on lights is not as a big of a load as the starting system. So lets see if the alternator is charging first.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
with the jumper cables off it will only show 7.4 with the cables attached to 1299 of course from the other car
Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

7.4 volts is not enough to keep the car going. Your Alternator is not charging. It should be at 14.3 volts if it was charging.

Once you put a Alternator in the car, and system voltage returns to normal, that is when you will see operations return to normal.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Thanks Jay!