Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2002 I35, I had the timing chain replaced a few thousand

Customer Question

2002 I35, I had the timing chain replaced a few thousand mile ago and just resently the car will come to the light when I stop and the power /lights everything just shut off. I can restart but sometimes it takes a while
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Do you have a Volt Meter? I would like to check the Alternator to see how it's charging

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
13.8v
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

That is with the car at idle?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

While it is at idle, now turn the head lights on, AC on and rear defroster and then tell me what you are getting?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the car runs fine no hesitation, when you come to a stop all the lights turn off and the car dies
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

I am just trying to see if the Alternator is charging properly, You may also want to disconnect the battery and check all the electrical connections at the Alternator after we finish testing, and also have the battery checked. I have seen batteries with internally shorted cells cause that also.

Let me know what you get with the last charging test.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Has new battery, all the connections have been cleaned tightened and we even cleaned the injectors
.
Like I said the only time it happens is when your coming to a stop and are still rolling then all the lights, dash and head lights just quite/shut off and the motor
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
its like someone cut the power off
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
turn the ignition off and on again and there is power then its sometimes hard to start. few seconds later it starts
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

I would still like to double check the Alternator with all loads on.

Other than that, a poor connection at the starter can cause that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
could a faulty break switch cause a temp loss of of power like tripping a breaker?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

No, a bad brake switch would cause either the brake lights not work, or for them to stay on.

What is your voltage at the battery with all loads on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
describe all loads on
lights, Blinkers and 2500 rpm
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Car at idle. AC on, head lights and rear defroster. Idle not at 2500 .. No blinkers

Expert:  Jay replied 9 months ago.

Were you able to check the charging system as l requested?