Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Infinity Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Infinity Diagnostics
18617752

I have a 2006 Infiniti G35, and the check engine light is

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Infiniti G35, and the check engine light is on. I bought it used from a Volvo dealership, and it was under my extended warranty. The Volvo dealership said it needed two oxygen sensors, was not covered under my extended warranty, and would cost almost $800 to repair. I had this exact same thing happen at the same Volvo dealership a couple of years before - I had a V70 Volvo, check engine light was on, I paid to replace the oxygen sensors, but then the problem turned out to be the catalytic converter, and I had to pay an additional $1200.
So, now I'm faced with the oxygen sensor dilemma again. Do the computer codes NOT tell what the exact problem is? It is very expensive for me to have these mechanics guess what the problem might be. How can I know for sure if it is the oxygen sensor and, if it is, which one? This is NOT a job I could even attempt to do on my own.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Do you happen to have the "P-Codes" that were scanned from the on-board computer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All I have is the receipt where they charged us for the diagnosis. Let me look if by some chance they put that on the receipt.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

That'd help us a ton if you have them. If not, let me know... hopefully I can give you a little insight to help you better make a decision.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
My wife has the receipt; I'm trying to reach her now. Thanks for your patience.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Not a problem at all!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry for the delay. It appears I spent $155 and got nothing. (See attached receipt.)
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 10 months ago.

Good Morning, David. No, it doesn't look like the p-codes are on there. Shame how the Dealers are taking advantage these days. Ok. Let me try and address some of the question you had in your original question and try and give you some insight and maybe another option...

On this vehicle, there are literally hundreds of p-codes. Most of which are very straight forward and point to a single item. However, ALL p-codes, no matter what, will have the description, possible cause and then a testing procedure to prove that the item in question is faulty. These tests usually require a scan-tool or testing equipment, but again, there IS a procedure to prove.

With that said... IF the p-code(s) pointed to 2 oxygen sensors, first, this is very very rare for 2 to fail at the same it. I'm not saying it can't happen... I'm just saying it's very rare. IF/When the codes set for 2 oxygen sensors, many times it's an electrical problem or another item effecting the oxygen sensor. For example: a Cylinder Misfire CAN effect multiple oxygen sensor. However, when this is the case, the p-code for the misfire should also be present. In which case, fix the misfire and the oxygen sensor codes clear as well.

So, unfortunately, at this point, this is where those p-codes come in. We need to have the same info that the Dealer currently has. So those p-codes are important. My advice at this point would be to have those p-codes scanned from a non-Dealer, unbiased place. You can have these p-codes read FREE (except in California) at any local "big chain" part store (ie. AutoZone, PepBoys, Advanced, etc). Once you have those codes, we can more accurately and efficiently determine the root of the problem, and then make the correct repair. And if it's one of those p-codes that isn't very straight forward... also get the test procedure to determine the root of the problem.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.