Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2011 Infiniti G37 sedan: never had seen engine overheat,

Customer Question

2011 Infiniti G37 sedan: never had seen engine overheat, changed oil (synthetic) every 6.5 thousand miles, had all intermediate services done at reputable auto shops, had all major services directly at Infiniti (15k, 30k, 60k). At 69k miles engine "exploded" - according to Infiniti service manager the "rod has punctured the engine block". I have never heard of this, and neither have the Infiniti mechanics. They are starting to give me the run-around in terms of warranty repairs, since they cannot establish the reason. Has anyone ever heard of something like this? Please help!
Alex
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

How many miles do you have on the car?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Jay,
The car was at 69,000 miles when the engined stalled. Never a sign of trouble before that. And I just had the big 60,000 mile inspection before the summer
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your engine has a 5 year or 70k mile warranty. Did you do all this service work at the dealer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all the major services done at the dealer. Oil changes every 6,000 miles done at JiffyLube
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

as long as you have all your maintenance records, the engine should be under warranty. Where is the car now? Dealer or repair shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did give them all the maintenance records - there was one or two oil change records missing between zero and 15k miles. I couldn't find those. They just called to say the engine replacement was approved under warranty, so that part is OK. I would just like to know what the cause could have been - my car stalled in the middle of the busiest freeway in Los Angeles and I couldn't steer or do anything - pretty big hazard to my safety and that of other drivers....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It is hard to say what may have caused the engine failure with out seeing the car.

One of the rare things I have seen is a valve spring brake and the piston hits the valve and breaks and you can get engine damage.

I am glad that this is getting taken care of for you under warranty. The engine alone is around 7k dollars, not including labor.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!