Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a problem with my 2003 Infiniti FX 35 base model 120k

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** ***** I have a problem with my 2003 Infiniti FX 35 base model 120k miles on her
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I replace the valve cover gaskets on both sides since it was leaking oil at the same time I replace coils and spark plugs and I clean up the intake manifolds upper and lower of the carbon build now Im getteing a P0300 and P1111 Codes
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Infiniti Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: ok
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

Did you find any oil in the spark plug tubes? Also what brand spark plugs did you install? ( Hopefully Not Bosch)

Let me know...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi Jay
I use ngk and I found oil on the upper part of one of the spark plugs on the upper part of it but they were all dry at the contact area
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Did you replace the valve covers? or just the gasket? I forget if this year you can replace the o-rings on the valve cover for the spark plug tubes.

Does it run ruff? Also were any of the coils blistered or melted and is that why you replaced them all?

Did you replace a CAM sensor on the car some what recently ?

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

When you took the intake valve timing solenoids off, did you change their gasket and please double check to make sure you plugged in the passenger side intake timing solenoid for me...

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah is running ruff and the engine service soon light is on and off ,I replace the coils on all 6 cylinders since I had to replace one a few months back I figure it was a good time to do them all 4 out of the 6 look ok no blistering 2 of them look dry and craking around the middle.cam sensors were left alone did not change them
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

What about the intake timing solenoid? Did you check that for me to make sure it was plugged in?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I couldn't tell you if the cam sensors were replace recently I had the car for over a year ,yeah I check and clean up the valve timing solenoids twice since it was the code that i was getting with the scanner
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
intake timing ?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
where would that be located at? next to the throttle body ?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Yes,, this could be part of your problem. You have a code for Bank 1 which is the passenger side intake timing solenoid.

Check to see if you plugged it in. Other wise it may have went bad, and need to be changed..

It is located towards the front of the engine in front of the valve covers.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1c.jpg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok yeah i check both of them to make sure that they were plug properly I guess I will buy one tomorrow after work and change it and see if that does it ...do u recommend stay with OEM or is it ok to get one from you local autopart store?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

When it comes to electrical parts, I always recommend to stick with the dealer.

When you had the valve covers off, did you notice any sludge?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK no sludge at all actually everything was clean i check the valves as well and they look clean inside no carbon buildup at all i change the oil religiously went it needs it and always synthetic
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

ok.. Just making sure. Also check the air intake duct. I have seen that rubber crack or split. Plus make sure it's sitting on the throttle chamber properly.

You didn't clean the throttle chamber did you?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
after change the solenoid do I need to have the computer reprogram ? with consult II ?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You may need to have Exhaust Valve timing relearn done.. But it should not run ruff if that was the issue after you replace it. But that code P1111 indicates. B1 Intake timing solenoid or a harness issue is the problem.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah I did i clean up all the chambers on the intake manifold upper and lower the actual chamber no so much i just spray a bit of brake cleaner in a paper towel and when around it i make sure it was no residue left out (paper or debris)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
for the moment I guess I will stop by the dealer and see if I can get tomorrow been a old model it might have to be order and shipped out to them
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You may need to do a Idle Relearn if you cleaned the throttle chamber. Also even though you sprayed it on a rag or paper towel, when you use such abrasive cleaner on the throttle chamber you can damage it.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

If you start getting a P0507 code, then you need to do a Idle Relearn. Any time you clean or replace the throttle chamber you need to do a Idle Relearn.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I didn't actually spray it in the chamber but on the back part of the manifold
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

This solenoid is used on many models and years. They may have it in stock.

Keep in mind, they used this 3.5 engine from 2002 to 2006 and some 2007. They actually are using them again on some newer 3.5's also. But the connector is different.

Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You may be ok.. But if you get that P0507 code, you know you need to do a Idle relearn. That's all. Thinking ahead just in case..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
away from the actual body or butterfly
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK sounds good jay if i pay for the advise do i need to pay again if the solenoid is not the issue or the code does not clear?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

you cleaned the plenum.. You maybe ok..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah that's what I did i didn't actually clean up the throttle body and chamber at all
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Ok.. good.. Lets work in getting that intake timing solenoid..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
but I will stay in the lookout for any other issues that might come up
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok sound good Jay I will get back to you soon and take care of you fees
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
thanks a lot and good night
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Yes... Recheck harness connections and grounds also.

You got it. I will talk to you tomorrow ? or when you get the part,,,

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Your welcome

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
hi Jay I just wanted to follow up with you I was doing some research on the Intake timing solenoid this morning and I came a cross an article regarding how to check if you solenoid is bad or not I use a voltmeter and measure the ohms on both of the solenoids bank 1 and then bank 2 i got the reading on both of them at 7.4 and bank 2 at 7.5 with a variance of .1 + or - would this mean that the problem is something else ? I'm willing to spend the $ and get a new one even tho they are $230 a pop but just don't want to waste money on something that I might not need I also ran the scanner on the car with live data recording here is a blimp of what is happeningin the picture it shows a harness that I don't connect because it was nothing that I could see that it was connect it to oh I might be missing something but I look all over in the front and back end of the valves on bank 1 just want to mention that out the picture shows the vvt solenoid on bank 1 view from the top
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

You may need a scanner to monitor intake timing. You may have a bad intake timing sprocket stuck or something causing the timing issue and for the computer to think something is wrong with that intake timing solenoid.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok is this something I can do by having the scanner plug in the fx and drive around o is something that I need to take to the dealership ?
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Based on the readings you provided, can you monitor intake timing? Cause I don't see it?

If you can't, then it will need a advanced level scanner to see what is going on with the intake timing operation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will assume that the unplug harness is just there for other options that my fx didn't came with
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

I am trying to remember that plug.. Look towards the back of the engine for the mating connector... But I don't recall a connector like that not being unplugged or not used there..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I thought it did read it but I will double check if it does or it doesn't give me a about 10 min
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

sure.. Take your time..

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I guess I could take it at part again and double check I didn't missed anything but I look all over and I just couldn't find anything to matte to that
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah I believe you are right my scanner does not support that ....any other ideas as far what could be causing that issue would a bad cam sensor trigger the same symptoms is just blows my mind that a simple task such as replacing the valve covers gaskets could make this sort of problem like I say the fx was working fine but I was getting this burn oil smell that it was cause by the dripping of the oil on the exhaust manifold when i took the valve cover on the bank 1 my suspicions were validated since the gaskets was hard and brittle and crack the cam shaft sensor was also quite dirty but i figure it was for all the oil that it was leaking on the back end
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Did you replace a Cam Sensor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no I didn't I took both of them out and look at them they seem fine maybe the o ring in the cam sensor on bank 1 was a bit lose so i put a bit of hi temp silicone and after I was done changing the gasket was put right back
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Hard to say. But I have seen after market Cam sensors cause intake timing codes..

Do you have a mirror to inspect the sensor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah I do
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

Cool. See if your Cam Sensors have this logo on them.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
ok will do that we will continue this conversation tomorrow jay if that is ok with you during the day light will be much better to see
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

of course.. That is fine.. I won't be online till later in the day tomorrow. I have somethings I need to do tomorrow

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
sounds good jay thanks again for all u help talk to you tomorrow
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.

talk to you tomorrow