Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My dashboard dial went crazy bouncing back and forth, all of

Customer Question

My dashboard dial went crazy bouncing back and forth, all of the alarms (brake, slip, 4WD) were flashing and car started to jerk. At one point did not accelerate. When I turned the car off it started to jerk and then turned off.
QX56 year 2004.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you have intelligent cruise control on your truck?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did it rain or snow recently?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never mind I called Infiniti Motors they said battery, battery connections or ECM.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

The reason I asked about the Intelligent Cruise Control is cause I have seen where the Laser fails and causes all sorts of weird electrical issues like you described.

It is fairly common on these trucks as they get up there in age. Normally moisture seeps into the laser and shorts it. That is why I asked about if it rained or snowed recently

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

This laser if it's the issue is a 1500 dollar part not including labor. I have a easy repair if it's the laser, but you have not answered my question if this acted up after it rained or possibly after it may have been wet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It acted up right after I had the battery replaced. No issues before that.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

It could be a bad battery. Where did you get the battery. Did you try taking that battery back for a exchange?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Took it back yesterday and had them check the battery and connections. No issues when I drove the truck yesterday.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

You are no longer experience the issues with the electrical system acting whacky?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

This is not a Ecm issue. I can tell you that.

I have seen batteries cause this. But most of the time it's the ICC Laser that internally shorts which can cause this issue. It tends to act up more in moisture, such as going through a car wash, rain or snow. So if you experience this again and there is moisture in the air or rain or something, then you are most likely dealing with a bad laser.

The easiest way to keep this issue from happening is to unplug the Laser or the ICC system. You will not have cruise control, but if you don't use it very often, it's the cheapest way to correct the issue.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jay
Thank you. I will keep that in mind if the issue continues. I dont use the cruise control much at all. I have not had the issue since the battery
was checked.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome. If this issue returns then try unplugging the laser.

Thanks Jay