Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2006 G35. Check engine light indicated fuel level sensors.

Customer Question

Customer: 2006 G35. Check engine light indicated fuel level sensors. Replaced both and the seals/O-rings. When I fill up the car, gauge goes to above full. Then the check engine light comes on 9 out of 10 times. The gauge will stay at above full or just below for about 250 ***** *****. Then it will drop down to below a quarter tank and the light will go off. thoughts?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2006 G35. Check engine light indicated fuel level sensors. Replaced both and the seals/O-rings. When I fill up the car, gauge goes to above full. Then the check engine light comes on 9 out of 10 times. The gauge will stay at above full or just below for about 250 ***** *****. Then it will drop down to below a quarter tank and the light will go off. thoughts?Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/nissan-infiniti/61scw-ase-a-fix-fuel-gauge-problem-2005-g35x-half-tank.html#ixzz3vj6oy4DK
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Infiniti Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

It is common for the fuel level sensors to go. How ever, if the gauge is still not reading properly, the only thing left is the gauge.

Based on your description about the gauges operation it sounds like it's getting stuck and then drops. So you will need to replace that whole cluster assembly to replace the fuel gauge. That will resolve your issue.

Do you have any more questions on this/?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
if it is the gauge, why does the check engine light continue to come on when I fill up? The ODBC II code say sensors.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

What is the code that you are getting exactly?

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Also is this a coupe or sedan?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sedan. Not sure of the code now but it says sensors. So are recommending that I change the gauge out? Isn't there a test for the gauge?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If you can provide me with the code you are getting, I will give you the diagnostic steps for that code which I am sure will have the check for the gauge if there is one.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

If your not sure of the code, and the service engine soon light is on, Auto Zone offers free scans as long as you are not in California. You could swing by there to have it scanned and return back here with the code. I can keep this question open till you can do that if you like.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK sounds good. I will check the code.
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

ok..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Two follow up questions
1. Isn't ther a procedure to see if the gauge is getting stuck?
2. What should resistance readings on the sensors be (low to high level?
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Did you get me the code?