Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2004 infiniti i35 125,000 miles on it. there is a deep miss

Customer Question

2004 infiniti i35 125,000 miles on it. there is a deep miss in the engine that only seems to
occur at idle engine sounds like it wants to die, no one could diagnose it (dealer included) until after replacing a bad alternator a local shop said it was probably in the cpu, close to $1000. to replace and even then the dealer would have to program it. What?
I'm in Naples Florida where nothing is cheap but now it seems we have expensive incompetence. What should I do?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

What brand spark plugs do you have in the car and do you have any codes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
spark plugs installed July 22, product code 047-250 and 047-250-200-0. parts $109. toal tuneup cost $428. no spark plug brand name listed but at the time they said they where top of line high performance
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok.. But what brand spark plugs were installed? This is important to know. The reason why is cause these engines only like 1 brand spark plugs. Any other brand can cause misfire and running issues. Especially Bosch!

How handy are you? Are you able to pull one spark plug to check?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no very handy with car engines, it would take some time car is in a basement parking garage. probably quicker to contact the shop that did tuneup.will email you asap
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Yes, then lets do that. Contact the shop that did the plugs for you and find out what brand they are. Lets start there and get back to me once you have that information.

Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Checking in with you to see if you were able to find out what brand spark plug was installed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Never could find out, I called the shop that did the tuneup, they have no record of the brand of plug. They just assured me
It was top of the line of what ever was called for. I had no time to ask around for an appointment to have someone pull the
Plug and tell the brand. I am presently on a business trip out of the country and will not return until first of the year. Will shop it around then. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Ok, have a Happy Holiday and a Safe Trip!

What I am looking for is to see if you have NGK spark plugs installed. If they installed Bosch plugs that would explain everything you are dealing with. These engines were designed to use NGKs. Any other plugs can cause misfire issues and running issues. Especially Bosch!

Thanks Jay!