Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My 2006 G35 fans are not working and temperature gauge is gh

Customer Question

Ryan, my 2006 G35 fans are not working and temperature gauge is high
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Do you have a volt meter to check and see if the fans are getting power?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.. Hang on let me pull up the wiring diagram so I can tell you which wires to back probe to see if the fans are getting power.

Can you tell me if this is a Coupe or Sedan please so I can pull up the proper diagram?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sedan
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

One fan will have a Blue wire, the other will have a Blue wire with a white stripe. We want to back probe those wires. Then start the car and turn the AC on. When the AC is engaged, the fans should automatically come on. So you can check to see if they are getting power.

Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fans came on. So why is my gauge going higher?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you there?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you change your Thermostat or Radiator?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried bleeding the coolant system? If air bound it can over heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How will I do that, because recently my heater is not getting hot.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. If you are not getting heat, that also indicates there could be air in the system.

How hot is the car right now? Is it hot or cold? If you grab the upper radiator hose and squeeze it, is it soft or hard?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since I don't drive it now, temp gauge is at the middle. Not too hard and not too soft.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok... Let me instruct you on how you are going to want to bleed the coolant system. I would rather you remove the radiator cap when the car is cold. This way we know there is no pressure in the system, so for safety reasons, Lets let the car cool down.

Then, To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket ( See Links for images ). Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine a few times to move the coolant around to get the air out. I also turn the engine off a couple times and wait 2 or 3 mins to let the air pocket move and bubble out. In the mean time you want to check your vents to see if your getting heat. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/fill%20rad.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Bleeding%20Coolant%20system.jpg

If you don't have a coolant bucket, you can use a funnel. You just may need to pinch off the over flow hose. See link for image.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Fill%20Rad%20Home%20Job%20Funnel.jpg

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Give that a try and let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am online evenings till 10 or 11 pm EST. I normally get online around 7 pm. So you know when you can find me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I tried that yesterday but did not get any heat at all. Now I just turned it on and I discovered that only one fan is working, both are working yesterday.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello are you there?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

yes, I am here.

If one fan is working, then you are going to need cooling fans to help with the over heating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what is the reason why i don't have heat?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How long did you spend bleeding the coolant system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More than 2hrs.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you get any warm air? or did it stay cool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just very thing hot air for some min and when cool again.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There could be a issue with the air mix door or actuator. This will now require the air system to be checked as well.

The fans are causing the over heating. If you are bleeding the coolant system the way I described and you are not getting any bubbles when the engine is running then the coolant system no longer has air.

If you find you are getting bubbles in a particular pattern, then you could have a head gasket issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't see any bubbles at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then you would need to check the air controller operations to see if the air mix door actuator is working.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any guild on that?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am limited to one topic per question as per my terms and services. We addressed all your issues on our over heating condition. We know it's now a fan issue since the coolant system is bleed and there is no air in the system to cause a over heating issue.

No heat would be getting into the air controller operations and would require a new question I am afraid. I pointed out what part of the system would need to be checked to get heat.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!