Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 05 g35 sedan....check engine and vdc off slip

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 05 g35 sedan....check engine and vdc off slip lights on. Pulled codes and PO340. Replaced both bank cam position sensors. Same problems, but does not completely shut down. Just starts slow and less power. Checked brake fluid, pads front and rear. Now getting loud bang followed by smaller bang from rear of car. Almost sounds like somebody hits the car. Other wise runs ok but same lights and slow start. Help?????
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Believe it or not, but a faulty starter can set this code as it causes the cam phasers to be out of time due to slow cranking speed, which sets the code.

I have uploaded the full testing procedure for this code in pdf file format. I Due to the symptom of slow cranking, I would have the starter load tested as I suspect that this is the issue

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sent numerous responses that the information offered does not reflect the Information I supplied in my original question
or two replies by me. There is no continuity in the information provided here and the responses received from 2 different "experts". I am not satisfied at all and I want a refund.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already sent a message to you explaining that the starter is not the problem here. It is not turning over slowly, it is just taking many more revolutions before it starts, because it is in the get home mode with the 0340 cam sensor error.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** has opt'd out cause he feels he can not help you. So I will be assisting you with this question.

The sensors you installed, where did you buy them?

Also the noise you are hearing in the back, there is a exhaust flang between the center pipe and tail pipe that rots. So that could be the banging noise.

Let me know where you brought the sensors?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The reason I am asking about the Cam Sensors and where you brought them is cause if you brought these Cam Sensors from your local auto parts store, that could be your problem. When it comes to After Market electrical parts they never work right.

It is very common for After Market Cam Sensors to cause, hard start, long cranking, stalling and not set codes, or it can continue to set Cam sensor codes, or intake timing codes which make you think there is a Timing chain issue.

So where did you by these sensors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are OEM bought thru Oreilly's. I can clear the codes and it will run And start perfectly until I restart it. The. as soon as I turn the key to run all three ces , vdc',slip lights come up and it starts in get home mode with long start time and reduced power. It can't be the chain If it runs perfectly after code reset.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you brought them at O'Reilly's they are not OEM. You can tell if it's OEM if it has this logo on it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg

Here is a image of a After Market one and a OEM one.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM%20and%20After%20Market.jpg

As I stated, when you have after market sensors it can have you think timing chains. The VDC and Slip light will come on cause it gives you a Engine Speed Signal code which engine speed of course is monitored by the Cam and Crank Sensor.

Please double check your Cam Sensors. If they do not have this logo on them, they are not OEM and you need to get OEM sensors.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were identical EXACTLY with the exception of the logo marking. Same exact casting precisely and Oreilly guarantees they are the same as and sold as OEM parts. Before I take them out and throw away 140.00 plus go buy from Nissan for 200+ why does it run perfectly when I clear codes for 50 + miles.....it starts right it does everything correct . Then I shut it off and restart with all the usual codes and all the symptoms? I dont see why it would run PERFECTLY with a bad sensor. It seems as though it must be something else?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Just cause they look the same, does not mean they are internally manufactured the same. They use cheaper material in the after market sensors so they can work sometimes and sometimes not. It's really hard to explain why after market sensors act the way they do.

I just know that I have run into this so many times, and you can never trust the sensors operation. So you always want to replace the sensors if after market with OEM sensors.

Would it be easier for you if I can speak to you and explain it?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am sure if I speak you you I can explain this so you understand