Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I jumped the battery on 2011 M37X after battery died from

Customer Question

I jumped the battery on 2011 M37X after battery died from sitting a week or so. Car starts and runs fine, but key warning light stays on. Changed key fob batteries but key warning still on. How do I fix?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

When you get the Key System warning, it is because the battery was so low that the key system operation did not fully complete. So now you have this warning. I have a few tricks we can try to clear this out. Hopefully one of them will work.

First lock and unlock the car with the mechanical key. Hold the Infiniti logo on the remote over the start button and start the car holding the fob over the start button and continue to hold it there for 10 seconds..

After you do that, turn the car off. Open and close the door. Then press the start button and start the car and see if the warning is still present.

If it is, the next thing I would like you to try is to disconnect the negative battery cable for 15 mins. This will do a hard reset on the car. You will need to reprogram the auto up feature for the windows, but that is easy. Lets just get the warning clear before I share that part with you.

Give those two steps a try and let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay - tried both operations with no change..also tried first procedure after the battery cable removal did not work. ??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Still getting key system warnings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no change at all.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you try your other key also to see if you get the same key warning issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
tried both keys and get same warning....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then if my tricks did not work, you will need to go to the dealer to have the keys reprogrammed. When you get this error it means something in the key registration got corrupt. The only way to correct it would be to erase the key programming and reprogram the keys. This is normally a hour labor charge to have done.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!