Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I need your help!!! I own a 2010 Infiniti G37X with104,000

Customer Question

Hi, I need your help!!! I own a 2010 Infiniti G37X with104,000 miles. I purchased the car brand new, first owner. I am in the military and have driven to three different duty locations. That is why I have high miles:) It has every service completed by
Infiniti dealer. I called to have my car towed to the Infiniti dealer (closest is 90 miles away) my insurance will only cover S50 and it will cost $362 to have it towed. I want to get it started so I can take it to the dealer without paying the towing fee.
When i push the start button it does not start. I tried putting the key fob in the fob slot as well as placing the fob against the start button to get it started and no luck. I tried both fobs and jump starting the car for the heck of it. It also has a new
battery about four months old. When I press the start button, it goes to "ACC" and the "Push with the down arrow" and the "Put foot on brake" and the "Intelligent Key Warning Light" comes on. The car does not start and the "Intelligent Key Warning Light"remains
lit. There is a mechanical sound which comes on from the right passenger side of the vehicle. I have no idea what it is. I had to put the car in Neutral to push it out the garage and was able to turn the wheel to get it out. I can turn on the head lights,
the rear brake light comes on and I can blow the horn and it sounds. Please let me know your thoughts... thanks. Michelle
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

If you press the start button 2 times with out stepping on the brake pedal does the dash warning lights all come on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,Thanks brother for your help! Yes, all the lights come on when I press the push button twice.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you happen to hear a single click when you try to start it? Does the brake lights work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click but the brake lights do work
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok...you most like have a starter issue.

Do you have AAA by chance?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Also do you have a extended warranty on the car? A Nissan dealer which would be closer maybe able to replace the starter for you and may have the part in stock. But only if you don't have a extended warranty.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After you asked about the brake light, the "No Key" words came on. Is it possible the car is not seeing receiving the Fob signal? What about the immobilizer for the car, could it some how not allowing me to start the car?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Try inserting the remote into the remote slot. Also let me know if the steering wheel is locked when the car is off.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I am on the road and on my way home... Would you rather speak with me?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I think I may know how to get the car running. I have a thought on this. Let me know. if you want to speak with me.. since I can't keep pulling over to type since I am replying to you on my phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,
Good evening,can't you send me the answer when you get home??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I have some things I would like you to try... One is to see if the steering wheel is locked when the ignition is off.

The other thing I would like you to try if the wheel is locked, is to disconnect the negative battery cable for about 15 mins. Then reconnect it and see if the car starts...

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Give that a try, and I will check in with you when I get home..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay, I truly appreciate your time. Respond when ready:) I can turn the steering wheel with the ignition off and the disconnected the negative cable on the battery over the weekend. I would not start. I would think, I should not be able to turn the steering wheel with the car off...I think you are on to something.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for waiting.

Yes, you should not be able to turn the steering wheel when the car is off. You may have a issue with the steering lock control unit.

You don't have remote start or anything installed in the car do you? Also, is this a Coupe or Sedan?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay, you answered a very important question in reference to being able to turn the steering wheel with the car off. I am going to get a rental car tomorrow. Please have a beer or two and spend time with your Family:) If you don't mind assisting me tomorrow I would really appreciate your expertise and help.
It is a sedan and the only thing I ever added to the car is gas:) Chat with you tomorrow. Life is too short. Have a good night.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yy077eLJfXk

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Give these steps a try and and see if you can get the car running.

I am normally online in the evenings around 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm.

I work during the day. So I am on and off during the day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,
You are right, the steering wheel is not locked but it should not allow me to turn it while the car is off. I will explore the video and focus on the steering wheel lock area. I will try the tips in the video tomorrow. I will get a rental car tomorrow. I'm grabbing another beer, I recommend you do the same. Good night and thank you:)
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. You have a good night and will touch base with you tomorrow! Enjoy your Beer!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,Good morning...are you available?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am online this morning. Sorry, I was not online yesturday

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,Good morning, are you available?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am on Eastern Standard Time, I should be online tomorrow morning for a few. Weekends I normally try to get stuff done.

I am normally online around 7 pm EST till 10 or 11 pm during the week. If you like, just reply with where you are at and I will reply as soon as I can.

Thank Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,
Good evening, ok. I am receiving a U0101- Loss transmission with TCM error:( Chat with you tomorrow. Thanks.Michelle
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

U1001... That is a communication problem. You are getting that under the transmission?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey, using a ScanTool 426101 OBDLink MX Bluetooth: OBD Adapter/Diagnostic Scanner for Android tester.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Does it show systems? or just the codes?

Meaning, do you have codes under Engine? Transmission?

U1001 code normally means there is control unit failure. This normally requires a scanner that can perform CAN diagnostics to determine what control unit is not communicating. But if you can't communicate with the transmission, that could be cause that control unit is your issue. If it's the control unit for the transmission, that would require the whole valve body to be replaced since the TCM is part of that. It also comes blank so it would need to be programmed.

So I would like to be sure on how you are getting this U1001 code

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Uuuuuuggggghh...the car still will not start. In "On" mode Ac works. everything works except it will not start. I am going to try and borrow a real OBD scanner:(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen many of those codes? Out of warranty:(
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well the key thing is to see what control unit is not communicating. Do you think you can get a Mobile Tech to perform CAN Diagnostics for you to see which control unit you need?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay,
I will try! Thank you very much:) Have great evening.respectfully,
Michelle
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome Michelle, and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!