Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2014 Infiniti QX80 23,000 miles. When applying normal

Customer Question

2014 Infiniti QX80 23,000 miles. When applying normal acceleration from a stop light the transmission acts like it goes into neutral and the engine revs up to a high rpm. This happens even though you remove your foot off the pedal. Typically happens at lower speeds. Some days it happens 5-10 times, other days only 1-2 times. No warning lights come on dash. Dealer has no idea what it is.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question

Does this happen more when cold or warm?

Or it doesn't matter? Has the dealer attempted to check fluid level of the transmission?

Let me know

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cold or warm has no effect. Happens both times. Fluid level is normal.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The first thing I would check is the fluid level of the transmission. If low it can certainly affect shift operation. Other wise if the level is good, I would think there is a internal issue of the transmission and it would require replacement. It's not like it's a new car any more with 23k miles on it. You know how it shifts.

Has the dealer experienced the issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dealer has not experienced the issue. They only plugged into computer and checked out transmission. I'm going to take it back and ask them to drive it until it happens so they can see the issue. Yesterday was the worst time it happend so far. I made a right turn at a red light and the car felt like it went into neutral and it wouldnt go forward. This happend for a full 20 seconds while all the time the engine reved up to over 4,000 rpms all by itself and it held at that rpm for the full 20 seconds. I thought it might blow the engine.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That makes it sound more like a fluid level issue. When you turn, the fluid will slosh to one side of the transmission. When the fluid level is low, it can pull away from the pick up.

I would have them check the fluid level ( they need to use a scanner for that ) and leave it with them to drive for a couple days.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I have not hear from you in a while. Just checking in to see how you are making out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer checked the fluid level in the transmission and said everything was perfect. They have not been able to duplicate the problem. They have only driven the vehicle for a few minutes. I think that may be the reason why they have not been able to duplicate the problem. At this point I have no clue what could be the problem.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then what I would do is call Infiniti to open a case on this issue.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Infiniti%20number.jpg

This will put more of a priority on your issue. So it will force the dealer to look at it more than a few mins. I would simply express your concern with them and they will help you determine the coarse of action to resolve your issue.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any more questions on this?