Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I Have a 2002 Infiniti qx4 w/ engine trouble light code

Customer Question

Hello '
I Have a 2002 Infiniti qx4 w/ engine trouble light code p0051, bank 2 , sensor 1- diagnosis took it to mechanic after 2 brand new replacements then was traced back to ecm
Talked to 5 different ecm repair places & got 5 different answers example : 1 said he didn't know why ox. sensor would relate to ecm goin bad. Next guy wants sell me ecm, plus modulator, plus key. I understand the key part, yet I've spent a $1000 on tryin 2 get this car repaired & 5 different answers from all out of state company's I don't know or trust.
Can I get the help of any expert advise on this vehicle b-4 I spend more than the vehicle is worth???? Pls. Help! Seriously!!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

The P0051 is a simply 02 Sensor heater code. Has the circuit been properly checked?

A sign of this code being a computer issue is if you can clear this code after you start the truck, and drive the truck and code only return if the truck is turned of and back on.

Let me know. I can provide diagnostic steps for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Jay,
Yes to both questions.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/2.pdf

That is the diagnostic steps for the code

As for the Ecm. this is where it gets tricky. Since they are no longer manufactured, a used one or repairing the current one is your only two options.

You can try this web site to see if you can locate one.

http://car-part.com/

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What state are you in?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As you can see I've done that & received 5 dfferent answers, prices anywhere from $ 300 to $450 from repair circuit ecm's to a $ 1000 from the dealer. HA! So, Do you agree to having to buy a main brain ecm, a modulator control, & a key (or set) to make this heat sensor (so to speak, which I now know fully about all 4 of them!) that the problem will be rectified? Like I said I've already spent $1000 or more & still not fixed??????
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can understand your confusion. I can't determine whether you need a Ecm or not with out properly checking the circuit.

If you look on that web site I shared with you. A Ecm is only a couple hundred bucks. Then you can have a Mobile Locksmith come to program your keys to the new Ecm if you really need a Ecm.

If you can perform some of the diagnostic steps we can maybe determine if a Ecm is needed or not.

Can you perform some diagnostic steps? Do you have a Volt Meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jay,
I Actually am an owner of an electrical contracting company so yes I did the usual volt checks & I kind of thought I measured the correct DC voltages However, I might have you do that again w/ me tomorrow to make sure I'm properly correctly doin it,
any ways,i succumbed to taking it to a mechanic who traced it back to the ecm Yes I will look at your web sight ( thankyou)
& hope for a better price, ,I fully understand over this typo conversation you are unable to pin point it, yet do you feel I need all three units (ecm , ecm modular control, (& key W/I agree with) to make this properly fixed....
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you are a Electrical contractor, you can follow the diagnostic steps I shared with you to isolate the issue. Yes this is checked using DC current.

I will be online tomorrow evening around 7 pm EST and be online till 10 or 11 pm. I will talk to you then and can also offer you additional service where you can speak with me if you like and we can do some checks if you are at all confused about any steps in the diagnostic steps.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks again even though I'm not a mechanic I understand the electric analysis of this, I'm in Tucson ,Az. Thx 4 your info .of work hrs.
I will be in contact w/ U tomorrow & in hopes we might more Isolate this rather than me taking it to a shop that U & I could better get to the bottom of this & know 4 sure. If there is anything special I need to know to get to you pls. let me know.
I' ll do my home work on your referral web site. I'm not apposed to doing a phone chat w/ you. Confirm? Thx.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can offer additional service to you now if you like? This way you have my contact number and can reach out to me tomorrow around the time i stated

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I am getting off line for the night. I will talk to you tomorrow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lets chat tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Talk to you later this evening.

Thanks Jay!