Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2006 G35 coupe with sport suspension <~~ not

Customer Question

I have a 2006 G35 coupe with sport suspension <~~ not sure if that matters. Will a bad crank sensor cause no power to be supplied to the fuel pump?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Normally a Bad Crank Sensor would cause no spark. Not no fuel. Do you have a Code for the crank sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not but I did notice the wire was spliced open near the connector to the CPS so I wasn't sure it it had a short but I repaired it & my problem continues. I'm not sure what it could be. What can cause the fuel pump not to come on other than the fuse & relay?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How are you testing for power at the fuel pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A multimeter, there isn't any power going to the fuel pump thru the wiring harness. I've taken a wire directly from the battery to test the pump & it powers that way so I know the fuel pump is good. I've traced the wiring & there are no breaks in it. Is there any other system in play that can shut the power to the fuel pump like an inertia safety switch or something that goes bad that can cause no power?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You do know the engine has to be turning over to check for power at the fuel pump right?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the key is in the in position. The fuel pump does not make a sound.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No, the key has to be in the Crank Position.. Meaning the engine is turning over while checking for power at the pump. If you have the key in the ON position, you only get power for a second or two, then you won't have none. You need to check for power at the fuel pump with the engine turning over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do crank the car! The car does not start, just continuously cracks. No fuel is being supplied to the engine.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Then you need to check the fuse for the fuel pump and see if that is getting power. After that, measure power out of the IPDM. If you have power at the fuse, and not out of the IPDM, you are looking at a IPDM issue.

Do you know where the IPDM is located?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. I found the IPDM. I checked the fuse & it's good, power there. How do I check power out of the IPDM for the fuel pump? Any specific wire?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Can you read a wiring diagram? I can share the wiring diagram, IPDM terminal Layout and Ecm terminal checks so you can go through the circuit completely to isolate your issue.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can, thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I attached all the pages to one PDF for you.

You have power at fuse 81 at the IPDM. The last page has the IPDM terminal layout and fuse arrangements for you.

So if the fuse has power, as long as the Ecm is energizing the relay internal of the IPDM, The Pin 39 should have power. If you don't have power at pin 39, then you want to check pin 113 at the Ecm. That is why I gave you the ECM terminal Reference checks as well. That will help you isolate your issue.

Now if you have power at pin 39 at the IPDM, then you have a wiring issue from the IPDM to the fuel pump.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any more questions on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry so long for the reply. Got busy. I checked & pin 39 at the IPDM does not have power but pin 113 at the ECU does have power. What does this mean? Is it a bad IPDM?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you follow the Ecm pin check for 113? If it past the check at the Ecm, then yes. You need a IPDM

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I think I did the test at the IPDM wrong. I left the ignition in the ON position & tested pin 39 on the IPDM. I should have tested pin 39 with someone else to turn the car to the ON position cuz when I did that it gave 12.24 volts then quickly drained. Does that mean it's a wiring issue from the IPDM to the fuel pump?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you got voltage, and then it stopped. That is normal when you turn the key on. It only supplies voltage for a couple of seconds unless you are turning over the engine. Then you should see constant voltage.

So if you are turning over the engine and you have 12 volts at the IPDM and not at the fuel pump, then there is a wiring problem