Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Jay, on this same Infiniti I have a, I would think, serious

Customer Question

Jay, on this same Infiniti I have a, I would think, serious issue. While you are driving and start to break to slow down, foot off of the gas petal, the car will surge. Not a high surge but one that lurches the car for a second or two. Usually when you get under 30mph. It is not every time. No other issue with surging in any other type of driving. I have checked the recalls/service bulletins and found nothing for the 2011's. I did see something on the 2010 tranny with a surging idle but, I do not have that issue. Any idea?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

From what your describing it sounds like the trans brake is being activated. Does the the Rpm's shot up when braking? Is that what you mean?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We don't know. My wife drives it and has said it has been going on for a while. She, as I, are being concerned on what it going on around. Neither of us have heard the engine rev up. It feels like someone just taps the gas petal real quick. Can the trans break be tested?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I can keep this question open. So what I would like you to do is pay attention to the issue the next time it happens and see if the Rpm's shoot up.

I think what you are feeling is the trans break. It can make you think this.

If you ever drove a stick, it would be like the transmission is downshifting which can give you that little bit of a jolt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I have driven a stick and this feels different. It feels like you have your foot on the brake and gas pedal at the same time. Thanks for keeping the question open. I agree, we will go out tomorrow and see if it happens. My wife says this is what happens to her. It seems to be in town driving. Going up to say a stop sign and you just start putting pressure on the brake and it surges and as you add more pressure it stops and slows down. Doesn't happen every time but it does happen every time she drives it. How do I respond tomorrow?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

To return back, log into JustAnswer.com and go to My Questions to return back to this question.

If your wife has never driven a stick, this feeling she is experiencing would be confusing. So it's good you take to for a ride to see if you can get it to do it so you can see if it's what I am thinking.

Talk to you tomorrow or when ever you get a chance to return and let me know..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh. Your user name and password ***** have been emailed to you so you can log back into JustAnswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Thanks. Talk to you tomorrow. She has driven a stick but will go out tomorrow. You have given us the things to pay attention to so we will answer them tomorrow. Thanks again Jay.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome. Talk to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jay, we took it out today and it did do it very little but not enough to tell. My wife has an appointment Tuesday and hopefully it will do it. Can we keep the ticket open till then?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Sure... Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Jay. Here is what happened. When you start to slow down in town and the RPMs get around 800 to 900 it would downshift but speed up and jump up to around 1300 and you have to put the break on harder to stop it from going faster. Does this make any sense? To ***** is what happened. When you start to slow down in town and the RPMs get around 800 to 900 it would downshift but speed up and jump up to around 1300 and you have to put the break on harder to stop it from going faster. Does this make any sense?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I would go to your local dealer to see if there is any transmission updates available. The trans brake is a normal operation, but it should not accelerate. So I would have them check for a Reprogram and go from there. They did have updates available for shift quality. The only way to really know if there is a update for your transmission is to connect it to the scanner.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!