Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

06 M35 w/264K miles. Shifter was locked. Valet unlocked with

Customer Question

06 M35 w/264K miles. Shifter was locked. Valet unlocked with letter opener. Customer took to repair shop and had to replace harness assy. claimed valet caused system to short out. seems more likely that there was a problem with the harness to begin with that caused the shifter to lock, no?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

They replaced a Harness for a shift lock issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not exactly. some dash board gauges were not working - tach, speed, fuel and rear camera...they were powered up but not reading. valet had to manually release auto transmission shifter lever to put car in drive and return to customer. customer had to replace harness and claimed that valet caused "short" when releasing shifter lever. sounds like there was a problem with the harness that affected the shift lever, no?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is no way they could have caused a short. There is a emergency release by the shifter that will unlock it.

If the battery was weak and they jump started the car with the ignition on, that could have caused some control unit issues.

I gave you a offer for additional service as this question may require detail information which may be hard to explain by typing it. Would that be something you would be interested it?