john aka eautp
john aka eautp, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  16 years ase certified
6149662

I'm ***** *****
2005 Infiniti FX35. My VDC Light, Slip

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I'm ***** *****
2005 Infiniti FX35. My VDC Light, Slip light, ALB lights came on while driving. Stopped to come home. When I tried to leave I started losing break and accelerator functioning. They would alternate:Breaks would stop working (I would push but the pedal felt stuck) then the accelerator would stop working (I would push to the floor and barely move. I took it to Sears Auto and they said I had to tow it to the dealership. We ended up taking it for a lap around parking lot and were able to drive it home slowly with no tow (10 miles) but I do not feel safe driving with my 4 year old daughter in the car.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Being 10 years old I would like to avoid the high cost of Infiniti dealership fix if possible. I have read about everything from cables in the steering wheel to actuator replacement for $2000+ (I know very little about cars) but had hoped I could troubleshoot online.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Infiniti Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Definitely willing to wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction: ABS and AWD lights came on, VDC OFF and SLIP- all lights were on
Expert:  john aka eautp replied 1 year ago.

hello I am John and I will attempt to help you. Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have access to a scan tool :(
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can probably get it to AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts tomorrow to scan, but thats it outside of dealership.

THE ABS Light or traction control comes on when there is a fault in the abs system. When the light is on the abs system is not working..A diagnostic scanner - computer would be required to pull the trouble code and to diagnose./.The failed component would need to be repaired or replaced to get the light to go out. likley you have a wheel speed sensor or wiring issue to a sensor..The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the warning lights on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes. Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm curious, Sears Auto said they did diagnostic but that they were unable to help because it was beyond them. They explained that the computer is telling my car it is accelerating but the acceleration isn't happening. Would they have been provided fault codes?
If I am able to obtain the codes tomorrow would you still be able to help? Thank you!

absolutely...sears is really not a diagnostic shop....more tires and under car..they should have fault codes yes

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service