Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE certified Master Technician with over 15 years of Infiniti experience.
1627031

Something is wrong with my 2004 infiniti g35 coupe. When

Customer Question

Something is wrong with my 2004 infiniti g35 coupe. When slowing down and coming to a stop, the transmission will make a "clunk" noise and the slip and vdc lights will come on temporarily and then go away. The car also loses electrical power when this happens. Also, last night i turned the car on and left it in park. The vdc and slip lights came on and the rpm read "0," but the engine was still on. I am wondering if it is just a faulty crankshast or camshaft sensor or if something is actually wrong with the transmission or harness. Let me know what could be the issue. The engine was recently swapped with a vq35de with only 60,000 miles.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, there is no check engine light on yet, so no way to tell what it is just by using the OBD Scanner
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Most of the tie this is caused by a issue with the cam sensor. It is either the sensor or a connector issue. It is very common for the connectors to fail and have loose terminals and cause this. This is where I would start to see if the connectors are fine and then change the cam sensors. The only other way to diagnose this is to use a computer scan tool that read the cam and crank signals and see which signal is lost when this occurs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If something is wrong with the connector will i have to replace the whole harness, or can i do it for cheaper? The harness is kind of expensive
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

You can get just the connector ends at the dealer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good. I will try to replace the sensors with some spares that i have in the garage first and see if it fixes the issue.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you have any other issues along the way. Please rate when you can also. Thank you and have a great night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i attempted to switch out the cam sensors and it didn't seem to fix the issue. What i did notice is that when the vdc/slip lights come on, so will the abs light, and this all comes with a noise from the breaks. Sounds like a "boing" type of sound. You can also feel something on the brake pedal as well. The brake fluid is good. I was gonna change the brake pads soon, so I'm wondering if that could be the issue. Strangely, my driver's side window switch also stopped working today as well. Let me know what you find out
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

If there is a noise that is coming up with the ABS light coming on then it may be a bad wheel speed sensor. Does your scan tool read the ABS system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the only code that comes up is code P0340 for Bank 1 cam sensor. I just switched out the sensor though and the connections for the sensors are on tight. They aren't loose at all. Also, today i was having trouble starting the car. The engine just getting trying to crank over but wouldn't start. Eventually it started and then the code P0340 came on later.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

Did you already replace the crank sensor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i did not. I will replace it tomorrow but shouldn't the code for the crank sensor have came on if that was the issue?
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.

The crank sensor is the number one input for the computer for timing purposes. It the crank reading is only slightly off then the computer will think it is the cam sensor since they do not match.