Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti M35h 2012, involved in an accident (smashed the

Customer Question

Infiniti M35h 2012, involved in an accident (smashed the front end) and air bag deployed. Car will not start. Everything lights up but nothing happens when you push in the start button. How do we reset whatever needs to be reset so it starts? No engine
damage in the collision, but the radiator was bent in a little bit.
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Added post accident picture.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

When you press the start button with out stepping on the brake pedal, does the ignition come on?

Does the brake lights work when you step on the brake pedal?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car's at the body shop. Not sure what you mean by ignition came on? When I press the start button, everything was lit up as if I had hit the start button without putting on the brake. Haven't checked the brake lights, but the mechanic said he check the brake switch and it was working (assuming this is the ignition lockout brake switch)
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Keep in mind, this is a Hybrid, so the engine may not turn on, but the Ready light may come on indicating it's in EV mode.

Please have them double check that..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll have to have them check that tonight. From what I remember after the accident, it didn't go into EV mode when I pressed start. I know what that looks like.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I remember from the accident is that all the dashboard lights stayed on when I pressed the start button. Not like pressing the button without the foot on the brake. Not like going into EV mode.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It is not going into EV mode or Starting? Please double check for me. It would not be the first time a person got into a Hybrid and pressed the start button and said it wouldn't start. Just want to be sure.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't go into EV mode, the engine doesn't start either. I've had this hybrid for over two years, so I'm familiar with the car going into hybrid (EV) mode. My original question still stands, is there any kind of lockout that needs to be reset after an accident that keeps the vehicle from starting (or going into EV mode) after the airbag deploys?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Has the car been scanned for codes? There could be a Computer issue which maybe keeping it from starting.

Did you have a picture of the impact?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I uploaded a picture of the impact on September 29th. I'll have the shop scan for codes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My original question still stands, is there any kind of lockout that needs to be reset after an accident that keeps the vehicle from starting (or going into EV mode) after the airbag deploys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can't provide a definitive answer to the question, please let me know so I can get my money back. Just be honest and I won't give you a bad rating.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There is no type of Reset when there is air bag deployment due to a accident. I never received a picture from you showing the impact.

If I had a idea on where the impact was on the car, I may be able to give you a area to check to see if we could get the car to start.

Also, did you get a chance to check for codes?

I am trying to do the best I can to help you, but I have no image showing the direction of impact on the car. I don't know if it was a front end hit, rear end, side or anything. So I am kinda in the dark with that..

Trust me, I don't want a bad rating either. I want to try to help. I just need info since I am not there to see what the car is doing and where it was hit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Obviously the Just Answer site is having some issues since you are unable to see the original post of my question and the picture I posted. Here is my original question:Infiniti M35h 2012, involved in an accident (smashed the front end) and air bag deployed. Car will not start. Everything lights up but nothing happens when you push in the start button. How do we reset whatever needs to be reset so it starts? No engine damage in the collision, but the radiator was bent in a little bit.I'm also re-uploading the picture I posted with my original post. I hope you can see it this time. The picture shows up on my screen in Just Answer as: "2015-09-11 18315.35.jpg".
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I see that image now.. Thank you. With that kind of impact it should start up. Were you able to scan the car for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I sent an email to the body shop this morning asking for them to check the computer. I'll let you know what I find out.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

ok.. Let me know.. I am betting it's a blown fuse causing this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The battery is out of the car right now. The shop will check the codes as soon as they have it back in the car.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If the battery is out, then what ever codes were stored will be erased. But lets see if there are any hard codes after they reconnect it.