Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Headlights come on and goes off after a few seconds. Drivers

Customer Question

headlights come on and goes off after a few seconds. Drivers side goes off after a few seconds. Passenger side stays on for a little longer. I replaced bulbs with aftermarket and they come on and work. I replaced the ballast on the drivers side, but it still doesn't work right.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you know if the ballasts are getting power and ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't! How will I check that?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

You need to access the Ballast and check the two pin connector with the Red & Black wire and see if the ballast is getting power with a volt meter.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The two pin connector is on the harness on the light or on the ballast itself?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

on the ballast.. Hold on, let me double check the wiring diagram. The two pin may be newer Xenon lights..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Wiring diagram is not showing me the actual ballasts. Is that the headlamp control unit?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It's showing the ballast as a 4 pin connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see four wires going into the ballast. Orange/brownish and green/white. Which side do I check voltage on?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

There should be a Red wire with a yellow stripe?

Are you in Canada?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I am in Mississippi. There are two ballasts correct? On for each headlight?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

yes

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

High Beams work properly correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To my knowledge. The passenger side does for sure. The bulb might be out on the driver side.its my daughters truck.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The High Beam is a separate bulb.

The low beam is the big issue. Follow that harness you took a picture of last to the other side. That is where the color wires I am describing should be located. That harness is part of the head light assembly. So it's a sub harness. Please follow that to the Engine Harness with the proper wire colors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I believe I found those wires. These look correct?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

yes!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I am checking the right place according to this picture, there is no power.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok then.. You have low beam and high beam fuses for the head lights under the hood. Lets check those fuses.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All fuses pertaining to headlights are not blown.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have a test light, please turn the head lights on and check to see if the head light fuses are getting power.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Jay! I hate to be stupid or sound stupid, but I don't quite understand what you're asking me to do.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thats ok..

We know that the head light ballast is not getting power. So now we need to check to see if the fuses are getting power. To do this a Test light is used. You would turn the head lights on, and then probe the fuses to see if they are getting power. Here is a video on how to check fuses with a test light.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksrsXwwukFc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK! Now I understand. My problem is now that it's dark outside. I will have to resume this in the morning.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I work during the day. I can keep this question open. That is not a problem.

I am normally online around 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm so you know when you can find me and when we can continue.

Ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How did you make out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't been able to locate a bulb tester yet. The one wehave you didn't work. I'll have to find one tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok