Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

When closing my G37 hardtop today the right side latch went

Customer Question

When closing my G37 hardtop today the right side latch went into position, but the left side latched missed the hole. The left latch is not closed and not in the hole. It keeps the roof from completing and trunk is still open. It will not open now nor close further.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

There is only one thing you will be able to try. You will need to disconnect your negative battery cable for 15 mins. Then try to open the top. If it still doesn't work, then you will need to go to the dealer to have the top manually operated. Once you get the top back in operation, it would need to go to the dealer anyway to have what they call a convertible top relearn. That is to re-time all the top operations. The fact that latch missed means that it was slightly out of time. The relearn will be required for the roof.

Give that a try and if you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If you don't have any more questions and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
does that mean even if I can open it after disconnecting the negative battery cable I need to take it to the dealer right away after that and should reopen and close the roof before doing the relearn?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yeah, I have seen this before. If you can get it to operate by doing the hard reset which is disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins, you will still need to go to the dealer to have a convertible top relearn done. But if it doesn't work, then you need to get to the dealer asap.

Also, you will need to reprogram the auto up feature for your window. It's really easy. Simply lift and hold the window switch up with the car running and doors closed. Once the window goes all the way up, just continue to hold the switch up for 5 seconds. That programmed the auto up.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you can't get the top to operate, you will need to have the car towed. Make sure they put it on the flat bed with the trunk closest to the cab of the truck. If they pull it where the nose of the car is pointing forward, that trunk acts like a sail!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dealer is just a few miles away and I can get there without taking a highway. Could I drive there with the half-open roof?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh, if it's close where you can back road it, sure you can drive it there. Just that everyone will think your car is the Batmobile!..lol..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I better put a Batman costume on. I'll try the hard reset first and see then what to do next.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yeah...hehe..

Let me know how you make out!

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

How did you make out?