Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

The air conditioning fan is not working properly. When is is

Customer Question

The air conditioning fan is not working properly. When is is not working there is no air flow. Maybe 2 or 3 times a week it will work and it functions perfectly (both for cooling and heating). If I shut it off by pressing the OFF front panel button OR turn the engine off and then turn it ON, it will not work. Visual inspection of resistor block and fuses shows nothing -- no evidence of a blown fuse or charred resistor. Mechanic was able to get it running by tapping the blower motor assembly. Is that sufficient to replacing the blower motor, or is there something else to check.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 year ago.

Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of

automotive repair and diagnostic experience.
-
From your description most likely the blower motor is the problem. The brushes in the motor that make contact with the armature are worn and when your mechanic taps on the motor the brushes make better contact and the motor runs. To verify this have your mechanic perform the following to check the Fan Control Amplifier or Resistor Block as you say.
-

1. Ground the Blue/White wire at the (Fan Control Amplifier)-(Resistor Block) and verify the Blower Motor Runs on high speed.
  2. Verify that the Fan Control Amplifier has a good ground on the Black wire.
  3. Verify voltage on the Blue/Yellow wire from the A/C Auto Amplifier is correct - look for 9-10 volts with the blower speed set on high.

-
I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know.
Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.