AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Okay, I hope this is real and you can help me. I got an

Customer Question

Okay, I hope this is real and you can help me. I got an infiniti g35 2005 from my father. It wasn't running and what I was told that it wasn't getting a spark. First thing I tried was jumping it and starting it. Lights came on everything but just clicked. Took the starter off and had it tested. It was bad. Replaced the starter. Then checked the spark plugs. The right side second spark plug was covered in oil. So I cleaned it out and replaced all the plugs. Went and had the battery charged. Now, when I try and start it, no clicking just a whining sound. This is where I am at. I'm only 20 years old and learning as I go. So if you could help me, I would so greatly appreciate it!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry you have waited so long for a reply. Without hearing the car, I can not say for certain what is happening but based on your description, the whining sound is most likely the sound of the starter spinning but not engaging with the flex plate to turn the engine over. Have you been able to crank the engine at all after installing the new starter? Or did you hear a whining the first time you attempted to start the engine with the new starter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not been able to crank it over at all.

Ok. can you tell if the whining is coming from the starter? possibly by having someone else turn the key while you listen? I would bet that your starter was a bad rebuild. It sounds like it is not engaging with the flex plate.

unless what your hearing is more of a grinding sound, in which case the starter is probably not fully engaging with flex plate. only partially.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe it's a grinding sound. I'll check the starter later on today and message later about what I found. Thank you guys for helping me out. I really appreciate it.

Sounds good. let me know what you find. If the starter is whining then I would remove it and exchange it with another one. Remember, you can always follow up on here free of any charges after clicking accept.

hello. Just checking to see if you had gotten the problem solved or if you need further assistance? If you need no further assistance I would appreciate a positive rating as that is the only way I will get compensated for my time. Thanks again and remember, you can always follow up at a later time if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not get a chance to work on my car. It was raining all day.

no problem