Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

If I let my 2007 qx56 idle 20-30 mins, it hesitates and

Customer Question

If I let my 2007 qx56 idle for about 20-30 mins, it hesitates and sputters when climbing a hill or I try to hit the passing gear. It had a code for the catalyctic convert, so I changed them and had it tuned up, but still this problem still exists. Oh yea,if I stop and cut it off for a lil while, it goes away
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Does it only do this when you are climbing mountains?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mostly yes. Anytime I try to accelerate and go into a passing gear, it does it, especially going up hills
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Which hills? Are they just small hills? or are they actually mountains.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They are small hills
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a K&N air filter on the truck or any type of mods? How many miles are on the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No mods and it has 181000 miles on it
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When this happens and you try to accelerate, does the truck bog ?

No service engine soon light on correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's more like a sputter. I guess a good way to explain it would be like when you're running out of gas and you're trying to accelerate, or sputters like that. There are no service engine or check engine lights on. The check engine light was on,but went off after I changed the catalyctic converters.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like it could be a Mass Air Flow Sensor not metering air properly. When it does this, it can cause the truck to run lean and if the fuel and air mixture is not in a perfect balance it can cause a hesitation when accelerating, or bogging. Most times it does not turn a Service Engine Soon light on either. The reason it doesn't is cause it is still metering air. Just not metering it properly. I would have that checked to see if that is your issue. If it is, do not replace it with a After Market one. After Market ones never work right. Also lean conditions can cause Catt Converter damage. So that would make sense.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, I well check this, and let you know if it works. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thank Jay!