Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My front fans right in back of the radiator on my g37x coupe

Customer Question

My front fans right in back of the radiator on my g37x coupe 2009 Infiniti are ALWAYS running. Even when the air conditioning is off. I don't have a check engine light. But I've been in my friends infiniti's that are the same as mine and their fans aren't
always running like mine. Not that it's a big deal just a little loud. Let me know what you think it is. Thanks!!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

If you can check this for me, If you turn off your Air Controller and turn off the car and restart it, let me know if the engine fans are on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the fans are still on
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

that sounds like there could be a IPDM issue. That is what turns on the fans. Do you have a Service Engine Soon light on when the car is running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had one with the code P2A03 but that was my air/fuel ratio sensor which I changed already! But there is no check engine anymore, so NO, there is no check engine light. Is this a big problem??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well not a big one, but you could burn out the fan motors cause they constantly are running. You do want to have them checked. Most times I have seen this, the car was int accident and after market fans were installed, or after market fans were replaced for some reason. I don't see factory fans do this really. I would have it checked though. It's not something I would say is dangerous, but you do want to address it eventually.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much is this to get fixed if you could give me an estimate. And is his something I should bring to the dealer or any garage. And how hard is it to fix and what needs to be replaced?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hard to tell what the issue could be. I would use a scanner to monitor fan signals and see if I can command the fans to turn off. It could be a number of things. The Fan assembly, a IPDM or the main computer.

It's not something I can just give a quote for. It would need to be diagnosed to determine what is causing the fans to stay on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well my car was recently in an accident. But nothing that had to do with the engine. Is it possible that caused it. But actually it was even happening before the accident. And I can command the fans off with any scan tool??
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

if you can command them off, and they turn off. Then I would look at signals that would keep then running.

Hard to tell if the accident was the cause or not. But if the fans were replaced with after market ones, that could be part of the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What if I changed my radiator awhile back with one from a g35, as it was able to fit my car and got a better deal in it. Could that cause it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

i don't know if the G35 has the same radiator as a G37. I would need to check with my parts department. But I can't see that causing the issue.