Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.
2921078

The car alarm on my 1996 infinity I30 has been going off

Customer Question

The car alarm on my 1996 infinity I30 has been going off intermittently for a day or two. Any ideas on how to reset it or what might be causing the problem?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

The most common issue that makes these go off without any reason are the following.

Bad key fob. If you have one, you can have it tested at any parts store, they will be able to tell if any of the buttons are sending false signals.

Then, the hood switch. Under the hood you can see a push button switch with a rubber boot on it. You want to be sure the boot is in good shape and the hood is good and tight when it's closed. If the switch is bad and the hood is a little loose, it can cause the alarm to go off.

Finally, the key lock switch on the doors. Sometimes there is water intrusion on the switch and it can cause the alarm to go off. To access these you have to remove the door panels and take a look at the back of the lock cylinder. If the wire is broken or if there is corrosion then the wire needs to be repaired and the switch changed.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't use the key fob, it hasn't been in use for a long time. Is there are way to turn off the alarm overnight? The car is in a locked garage so I can unlock the doors if that will help.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

If you leave the car unlocked, then the alarm isn't technically set, so it should not go off. If it does, then I am thinking probably one of the lock cylinders in the doors is shorting out. The hood switch is more of an on/off, so if the alarm isn't set, then it's not going to trigger the alarm.