Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2009 infiniti g37 convertible and I replaced my

Customer Question

I have a 2009 infiniti g37 convertible and I replaced my hydraulic convertible top pump and for some reason the trunk doesn't want to open it wants to but it seems like theres air in the system.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Did you replace just the pump? or did you get the Pump with the lines? Also are you a repair shop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just replaced the pump. I'm no repair shop I just like doing the work myself instead of taking to the dealership.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Wow.. Yeah I hear ya. But when it comes to these convertibles, when you are working on them, you need a scanner to actuate operations and do a convertible top relearn once you can get it all operating. This is for sure not a do it yourself type job.

Just to give you a idea on what I mean. I have a video where a convertible top wasn't working. When it looses it's hydraulic state that only means that it lost it's time. So I had to manually operate the top to get it up. Then once up, I performed a hard reset to get the top working. Once the top was back into operation, then I was able to perform a convertible top relearn which times all the moving parts to the proper sequence. Then the top will work as designed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UgQfqoM8rE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBgXU-XEGYY

I know this won't be the answer you want to hear. But I am afraid is your answer. These tops are very advanced and computer controlled.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a up to date matco maximus 2.0 scan tool would you be able to walk me through it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
That is a regular scanner. The scanner we use at the dealer, has all the support to actuate the convertible top. Your scanner I am sure even though it's updated, does not support this feature.
Did you watch the video's?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a u1000 code that comes up and doesn't go away. Do you think it has something to do with the convertible?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The U1000 code is a CAN Communication code. You get this code when communication is lost between major control units.

does your scanner perform CAN diagnostics? If it doesn't, when you perform CAN diagnostics, it does a system call on all control units and it will show what control unit is not communicating so that control unit can be checked or replaced.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any more questions on this?