Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My 1999.5 QX4 4x4 will currently not move under its own

Customer Question

My 1999.5 QX4 4x4 will currently not move under its own power. I believe the transfer case is stuck in neutral, so transmission seems like it's in neutral as well. I can push the car regardless of whether the transmission is in P, D, or R.
Prior this happening, the 4LO light and the little 4x4 picture flashed intermittently- almost like bad wiring or something was loose. Then I put the car in park and toggled with the electric 4WD dial and once I went to drive, everything was in neutral. Now the ATP light is on since it won't actually go into park.
How can I get it back into a gear so I can drive it?
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The car is currently in a store parking lot, so if I can't get a response soon, I'll have to have it towed to a mechanic before the store has it towed away. H
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last detail, there is a grinding noise when trying to put the shifter into P.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Do you still require help with this?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still need help.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Start the truck, and put it into neutral, and lets put it in 4 low. Then let me know if it engages. Please check and let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't tell if it engages in 4lo since it is an electronic dial, not a shifter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dial moves to 4lo, but no way to verify that it is in fact engaged.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Is the truck in neutral? When you turned the dial?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Running.. in neutral..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Engine on, transmission shifter indicating N, and can turn the 4x4 dial to 4LO...
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Does the 4 low engage and the truck move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think 4lo engages. Feels like nothing happens. Truck still won't move
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok, There is a*****electric actuator that is what turns the*****on and off. It's possible this could be your problem.

How handy are you?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Do you have a Test Light to check fuses? It maybe possible the transfer case motor fuse could be blown or maybe a transfer case issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking a TC issue since the 4wd light had been on the day prior to this issue happening. I also thought it may be a TC solenoid or actuator type of deal or even a loose connection. I do not have a test light. I can visually try to inspect the fuse though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to tackle this on my own if it just something outside of the TC or trams that can be replaced; I'm comfortable with doing some repair work on my own as opposed to taking it to the dealer, but not sure that's the smart choice.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Test light is how we need to check fuses. On the QX4, the transfer case operates by a motor. It has a*****control unit which activates the transfer case motor to change it gears. If this was a Pathfinder, you have a actuator which you can disconnect linkage and manually change it's gears, where you can't do this on the QX4.

Can you get a Test light so we can properly check fuses?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Lets also do a self diag on the***** That link has the steps

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/1a.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. Okay. I can pick one up at autozone, but can't get in to check everything until tomorrow.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No problem. So you know when I am online, I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. I will also run the FSM's diagnostic you attached. Thanks for your help. I'll post back once I do the diagnostic. Which particular fuses should I test?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

With issues like this, I check all fuses!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Will do.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Talk to you tomorrow then.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir. Thank you.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know you are not free yet, but I am here when you are available. The diagnostic came back as 21 flashes. After the diagnostic, I was able to put it in drive and it would move but it was grinding something in the TC or trans.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.. The code 21 goes with my thoughts of the transfer case motor. This is will require more advanced electrical diagnostics to determine the exact cause. But you did good verifying the code number which verifies you have a transfer case issue, not a transmission.

I can share more info if you like, but a scanner is going to be required to perform active tests.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just able to get it into drive and move freely without grinding. I can confirm that I am in 4lo and it will not let me shift out of 4lo. Should I go ahead and drive it home going 20mph and try to replace some electronic components or just take it to the dealer and get murdered on their rates? Haha thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Since you finally got it into gear, I will tell you that to take it out of 4 low, you should have the truck running, put it into neutral first, then select 2 wheel. Then put the truck into reverse and back up a little, then back into drive and it should go into 2 wheel. That is normally how you would do it. But since you are having issues, it's up to you if you want to try it. You do have to be careful on how fast you drive and how far you drive while in 4 low. It doesn't take much to blow the diff's if you go to fast.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That worked! I'm back in 2wd. The 4wd service light it still on, but damn relieved I can take it home. I will try another diagnostic when I get home and hope for a different result since it's at least functional now. I'll report back. Thanks a ton so far!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I redid the diagnostic, of course it's still error 21. I almost refuse to take it to the mechanic to pay a $100+ diagnostic fee since everything still works fine. The whole reason it got stuck in neutral is because I was flipping the 4WD button around in P. Yes, I was stupid, haha. The 4WD light only comes on sometimes. Given code 21 what could possibly be wrong? What can I try to do to further diagnose the problem?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 mins to see if the hard reset will clear everything back up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did the hard reset and the code came back yesterday. Then, without reason today, the car put itself back into neutral and then into 4LO upon startup. It was crazy. There must be an electronic short somewhere since it did it automatically and then didn't recognize the 4WD dial to get it out if 4LO. Where can I start with checking the wire connections or parts for sporadic electronic failure? Thanks for your continued help.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

This is going to require a scanner to monitor the transfer case motor. This is may also require more advanced diagnostics. I don't know how handy you are or what tools you have available.

This maybe something best left a trained technician. Transfer case issues are rare. So this isn't something I can just say I have seen and it's this!.. If you know what I mean.

Let me know if you have the proper tools, I can provide you with diagnostic information.

Let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got nothing other than a volt meter, haha. If there aren't a couple specific things I can check, what type of shop should I take it to? Dealership (Nissan or Infiniti or doesn't matter) or just a local mechanic?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

We will need to use a scanner as well as a volt meter, so I would recommend you just take it to the dealer.

Since this is not a common issue, I would go with the best trained and that is the dealer. Let them diagnose it. Then if you want to have your local mechanic fix it after they diagnose it, that could work. But compare prices of course.

Thanks Jay!