Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I am having overheating problems on 2006 g35 coupe

Customer Question

Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

How many miles on the car?

Are the cooling fans coming on?
Do you have a check engine light or rough running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
90,000 fans work properly, runs good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no check engine light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you there?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, does it matter if the air conditioner is on or not?
How long is it running before it overheats?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can let the car idel for 30 minutes with ac on or off and it does not overheat, but if I get on the highway it will get hot quick
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, is this the exact problem you had prior to doing the work on it or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just had an emergency that I need to take care of, I'll be back in 30 minutes.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll be here, good luck with it!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm back, my overheating problem usually only happens when the car is on the highway
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the original problem was the cooling fans and thermostat
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it sounds to me like it could just be an air issue giving you problems when it's at cruising speed. Like the original issue is likely resolved, but these can be a bear to get all the air out of.

Can you tell me how you bleed the system please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I kept a funnel in the radiator and I turned on the heater and bleed the system through the bleeder while raising the front of the car about 2 feet
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have heat at idle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I believe it's possible there is an issue with combustion from a head gasket going into the coolant and causing it to overheat so fast on the highway. I am going to suggest you try a combustion test on the coolant and see if there is any signs of exhaust in the coolant. This is a fairly easy chemical type of test. Since you have heat at idle, I don't think it's an air issue.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do to help you from here.

What happens next:
Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.
My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.
Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did head gaskets 5000 miles ago so that is not the problem.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I see, well ok then, I will have to open this up for the other experts and see if anyone else has any other ideas.

Sorry I can't help you with it.

Please don't reply to me or it will lock it to me and not go back on the open question list. Best of luck with it and again, sorry I am unable to help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can a water pump cause this problem?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

I could cause the problem if the cooling system didn't have routine service. The impeller could be worn off. Typically these go for a very long time however, I have seen these pumps go well over 200k

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I can think of is taking the pump off and checking the impeller
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

It would normally leak if the bearing were bad so that is about all there is. Maybe the radiator cap is weak, you could pressure test that. If it's not holding pressure then maybe it's allowing for the over heat.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have new head gaskets, radiator cap, cooling fans, temp sensor. everything except radiator which is clean
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Didn't realize you had the cap, personally I gave you what I think the issue is.

You can take the water pump out and have a look at the impeller on it, if it's loose or worn out then you know as well as I that I am wrong. Which is good, but I still think a combustion test is a heck of a lot less work and faster to eliminate the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did another cylinder leak test and is was good
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a new expert here to help you with your problem.

Can you please explain to me how you bleed the cooling system? Did you just fill it and let it run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, I put a funnel in radiator and jacked up the front of car 2 feet and then bleed system through the bleeder.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had the heater on through this process
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

When you do such major work on these engines. When you bleed it ( which that is the correct way ) you need to sometimes rev the engine while the noise is up in the air. Also, it will take close to a hour to bleed.

The only other thing that could possibly cause this issue of overheating if the fans are running, is the radiator. Please attempt to re-bleed the system and make sure you turn the heater on MAX with the controller on face mode and recirc on.

If you still over heat, then do the touch tests on the hoses. That could help you to isolate the radiator if the lower hose is cooler than the top.

Do this and get back to me and let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I'll try bleeding again in the morning and will let you know what happens. I don't know if you know but my overheating problem only occurs when the car is driven on the freeway.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That could be a Radiator. See if there is anything restricting air flow to the radiator as well. So check that and let me know..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I triple checked the radiator and is seems to flow good. the car has only 90,000 on it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Well the time to really check it is when it's running hot if re-bleeding doesn't work. Touch test the hoses and see where it's not as hot. So if the upper hose is so hot it can't be touched, and the lower hose is not as hot, then you know it's the radiator. It may have flow, but not good enough when driving highway speeds. Also make sure nothing is restricting air flow to hit the radiator as well.

Let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will in the morning thank you
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.. Talk to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I need more help with my overheating problem
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

What you got? Did you rebleed the coolant system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after re-bleeding I noticed that the lower radiator hose is not as hot as the top one
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. So it needs a Radiator..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's the only thing that I didn't replace
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That makes sense since it only happens at highway speeds. The circulation in the radiator is not enough and it allows it to build heat, verses cooling the coolant.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, thanks again
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.. Again :)

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. Keep in mind. When you replace the Radiator, it will take another 1/2 hour to hour to bleed the system again. Just thought I would remind you.

Thanks Jay!