Mike O.
Mike O., Infiniti Master technician
Experience:  18 years Nissan/Infiniti experience
39767275

I run out of fuel on my AWD '04 fx35 and now it won't start.

Customer Question

hi. I run out of fuel on my AWD '04 fx35 and now it won't start. i had to tow it to my house. It tries to start but it acts like it still doesn't have gasoline which now it does (4 gallons). I checked every single fuse and battery and everything works fine, It cranks but it does not turn.
**Before this incident the car run perfectly!... never gave me any trouble at all!!!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.

When you ran out of fuel, was the gas gauge on empty? These cars are common for fuel sending units failing so it will show maybe half way on the gauge but the tank is actually empty.

Expert:  Mike O. replied 1 year ago.

Verifying this can be easy, just disconnect the fuel line on the passenger side near the intake plenum and try to crank. Put a cup in front of the line in case fuel pumps out. If fuel shoots out while cranking then the pump should be ok.