Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have p0507 on my 2002 i35. Replaced throttle body, cleaned

Customer Question

I have p0507 on my 2002 i35. Replaced throttle body, cleaned MAF, performed idle relearn but idle still stay higher than normal
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please add pictures or diagram to whatever information you plan to send me. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Where did you buy the throttle chamber you installed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
from a junkyard
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Did you clean it before installing it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cleaned it with throttle body cleaner before installing. Prior to installing, my car idle higher than 1500rpm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After installing, idle went down to 1000rpm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Ok.. Here is the bad news. You can't clean these throttle chambers with throttle chamber cleaner. Because these are all electronically controlled, MAF sensor cleaner is used to clean them. So it's very possible the harsh throttle chamber cleaner may have damaged the electronics of the throttle chamber, and that is why it won't take the learn.

When you are doing the relearn, you are making sure the AC is off, and no electrical loads are on correct? You can get the service engine soon light to flash as outlined?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please tell me exactly where to look for possible leaks because I think there is a leak somewhere.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Then if you are following the steps, which is fairly tricky. You get the service engine soon light to flash, then the Throttle chamber may have been damaged causing your issue. That is why you are getting the Idle Speed Control code.

Also, if the air and fuel trim readings are not in spec. It will never learn either. Do you have a full blown scanner to monitor those readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I do not
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

That is the only way to know why it may not be taking the idle relearn.

Issues like this it's next to impossible to get with out a scanner. The scanner is used to make sure everything meets the requirement for the idle relearn to take. If it doesn't reach all it's requirements, then you can get it into program mode manually, but it will never take.

If you like, I do idle relearns on a daily basis. I can take a picture of one of the print outs and show you what it looks at when you do the idle relearn.

Let me know..

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Oh.. I have a picture of the computer screen ... Hang on..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That means I have to take it in. Can you send me the picture please?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

As you can see, it looks for load signal, Air and Power steering switch to be Off, It wants to see the car is in Park or Neutral. Fan switch has to be Off. Close loop condition. Engine Temp around 170 degree's or warmer but not fully warmed up. Also battery voltage.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

I just sent you a link with the computer screen. I actually had a picture from one I did.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is your recommendation?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The best thing to do is really take it to the dealer so these reading can be checked and have it done with a scanner so you know it's complete.

At the same time, if there is a issue, they would be able to determine it and correct it for you.