Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

My 2002 QX4 will not start, no power to anything. The

Customer Question

My 2002 QX4 will not start, no power to anything. The battery is good, as is the starter and brand new ignition. There is a very light clicking noise when the door is opened after trying to start. Any ideas?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

When you say you have no power to anything, please give me some details?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I turn the key, there are no lights that come on, no sounds, no ignore, no power.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Does the head lights come on?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope. The automatic door locks also not working.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Really? It sounds like a dead battery if the head lights don't come on. I use that as a test. Cause if you blow a main fusible link, you would have no power through out the car, but the head lights are wired before it, so they would still work.

Do you have a volt meter? Did you try jump starting the truck?

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If you replaced a starter, double check your wiring to the starter with the battery disconnected. See if any are loose. That 12mm nut maybe. A poor connection on the starter would also cause no power like this!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we have had the battery tested and it is pretty new. I don't have a volt meter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The auto parts store said maybe the PCI? I may be wrong on the letters but started with P. Sorry I'm such a girl.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh and no Bueno on the jump start, also when I take the key out of the ignition after trying to start there is a faint clicking noise I am assuming from the starter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not starter cylanpid. Bad spelling.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did you take the starter out of the truck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband had removed the original and replaced with new.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Please as a starting point.. Since you have no power through out the truck. We need to first verify all connections are clean and tight at the starter.

A poor connection would cause no power like you are experiencing. I have no problem keeping this question open till he can check that. During the day and I am on and off line. In the evenings I am online from 7 to 10 or 11 pm EST.

Let me know when he can double check that please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks. He will be able to check this tonight. I sure hope it is this "simple"! Thanks!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I will be online so please return and let me know the results. Just make sure he checks with the negative battery cable removed. In case there is a poor connection, it doesn't spark and blow any fuses.

Talk to you later this evening.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
For the past week, the truck has not started and no power. This morning hubby got in it and turned the key, still nothing. He put his foot on the brake, and lights appeared. It has now started out of the blue.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Did he check the starter? Then it worked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok we got it. The wiring that connected the positive terminal had been super corroded. He replaced that and it is good to go!! Thanks for your help!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Glad you found the problem. Corrosion can certainly cause issues!!

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!