Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Jay, I own a 2007 Infinit g35x. I believe I have a worn

Customer Question

Jay, I own a 2007 Infinit g35x. I believe I have a worn serpentine belt. Will that cause the steering to go out as well as the battery to drain
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

A worn drive belt won't cause the steering to go out or cause the battery to drain.

Lets work on one issue at a time. Please explain your steering issue to me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The serpentine belt is not turning
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the belt is not truning thus the alternator is not charging the battery nor is the power steering working. Will this cause the engine to loose power when trying to accelerate?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

The belt is not turning? What do you mean? Can you take a video clip and show me?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The belt is not spinning. At this time I'm unable to video.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the vehicle will idle fine just when you push the accelerator it does not move and will stall.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Are you getting a squealing noise?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not anymore
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

If it was squealing, then yes, you may need a belt and that would be where you would need to start.

How handy are you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would that cause the vehicle to lose power when trying to accelerate?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Yes it will. If the belt is not turning the pump, the power steering would be affected. If the belt is not turning the alternator, then the battery is not being charged and will cause the car not to accelerate due to low voltage and stall.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!