Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2005 Infiniti G35, V-6 3.5L. The odometer does not

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Infiniti G35, V-6 3.5L. The odometer does not illuminate. While at a shop for an oil change, I asked the mechanic for his opinion and he examined the vehicle and said the cluster was bad. They car has approximately 109,000 miles and it's been absolutely wonderful. However, it's at a stage where everything now seems to be failing and it's time for a new car. No one in their right mind, either dealer or private sale, would by a car without a functioning odometer. I looked on e-bay and used/reman clusters for this vehicle are available and reasonably priced. Here are my questions:
1. Is it a complex job to replace a cluster for this vehicle ?
2. Does the car's computer keep track of the mileage and when a used cluster is installed, will it accurately reflect the mileage ?
3. What's your opinion on reman/ used clusters ? Are they usually dependable ?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!

Your issue is the Meter Assembly for the illumination issue. The mileage is only saved in the Meter, so you would need to have either a new or used Meter sent out to have the mileage burned to the new or used meter. If you do get a used meter, try to find one with the mileage less than yours. It's more expensive to turn it back, verses move it forward.

As for the type of job, it's about a 2 hour job to replace the meter assembly. If you are to buy it new from the dealer it's a 6 to 700 dollar part.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and your satisfied with my help, please rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope you are satisfied with my help.

Thanks Jay!