Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti G37: 2009 infinity g 37 will not start but if you

Customer Question

2009 infinity g 37 will not start but if you disconnect bank 1 cam sensor engine runs on limp. p0340. repair oil leak to internal oil chamber to sprockets no go.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
This is normally caused by one of two things if the back timing cover gasket has been replaced.
Either the physical timing is off from re-assembly, or you have a bad sprocket and it's stuck and not operating.
Do you have a scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a scanner. I tried to unlock the sprocket by using compressed air and it does unlock the pin inside and move to full limit and relocks when back to home position. Check ports to valve timing sprocket from cover to sprocket no blockage and o rings to sprckets are good.timing of timing chains are all correct
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If the mechanical timing is correct, then the sprocket is bad. Using your scanner, keep both Cam Sensors plugged in and monitor intake timing Bank 1 and Bank 2 and turn the engine over. What are those two readings?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
BNk 2 -3 degrees at idle bank 1 0 no activity, posible open to ecm circuit or short?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
When you were doing the back timing cover gasket, did you notice any sludge in the engine?
If you remove the Cam Sensor is there slug on it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think bank 1 reading o means no signal to ecm. Yes sludge was there but why 0 on bank 1 looks like problem is there. Even if timing is off i should get reading from both banks right. Those variable sprockets they are not activated at idle right?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
one of the tricks of the trade is to unplug a Cam Sensor when you have a no start condition. If you can get the car to start with either one of the Cam Sensors unplugged, there is a mechanical timing issue. So that sprocket for Bank 1 is most likely locked and not operating which is not allowing the car to start. The way the trick works and why the car starts with a cam sensor unplugged is that the computer looks for both cam sensor signals and the crank sensor signal to determine engine position. Then it will know when to provide spark and fuel. If one reading is off, it won't fire. But.. If you unplug the sensor and it can't read, it defaults all the signals to the one that is plugged in. The fact it's reading Zero means it's not operating. Which could be a sprocket, or it could be the Bank 1 front timing cover which is what reads the intake timing. Also, make sure the screens behind the small timing covers are not clogged with sludge. That would keep oil from getting to the sprocket and keep it from operating.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If you would like to speak with me, I offered you Additional Service. If you have no more questions on this, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service. Thanks Jay!