peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

Greetings I have a 2004 Infiniti Q45, the mileage is only

Customer Question

Greetings I have a 2004 Infiniti Q45, the mileage is only 52k (and it's not cheated) i noticed a big decline in acceleration and big increase in fuel consumption, i checked the intake system, and exhaust (and fixed it), i need an advice on what to check,
i also need to mention that the gearbox feels more stupid than before in it's reactions, but i can't really tell is it because of the drop in power or is it itself being the problem such as drive plate or clutch? I also want to mention that rarely i smell
smell of fuel inside and outside of the car, and more rarely the engine temprature would go up to the middle or little above the middle, and then goes back to the usual level (little above the first mark) I know i've mentioned alot of things but we can go
through them one by one
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please answer me
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
One common component that can cause a fault like this here is the catalytic converter being restricted.If you have not had an exhaust back pressure test done this should be done to see if this is the cause.If found to be at fault it will need replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes thank you for answering, i was waiting for an answer for so long, I'm helpless with this issue, as the local mechanics here in Dubai are clueless about this particular model, i read somewhere online that it could be the fuel pump, and i was about to buy a new one because no one answered here.So should i exclude the fuel pump thing, and test the catalyst converter? And how do i do that? What's the name of the test, or should i just replace the catalyst converter all together?
The name of the test is a back pressure test and is done with a back pressure tester that threads into the pre catalytic converter oxygen sensor port with the oxygen sensor removed.Most shops or dealers have this tool to test.The back pressure should not exceed 1.5 psi at any RPM range.If it does then the catalytic converter needs replaced.
I wouldn't rule out the fuel pump but would have the exhaust test done first.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what about the occasional fuel smell that leaks outside, and even inside, is it also a possible fuel pump fault or is it the canister maybe?
If there is excessive back pressure due to a plugged exhaust this can cause unburned fuel in the exhaust to cause this smell.The smell may also be a component in the fuel system like a leaking fuel line or fuel injector needing repaired or replaced.This would need checked over as well to see if the fault is found.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
here in Dubai there's no mountains, and the car never overheat, specially that i replaced the radiator assembly less than a year ago, but few weeks ago i went to another city that has a mountain, and when i started going up the car overheated the indicator reached a little higher than the middle, is it also the same cause or is this a totally different issue?
In some cases this fault can be caused by a thermostat that is working incorrectly causing the over heat climbing hills or under load.If this has not been checked this should be done to see if it needs replaced.In some cases this can be related if the engine is running lean as this can cause the engine to heat up but usually you wouldn't have the fuel smell if this was a lean issue.
Thanks Pete