Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti G35: 2007 Infiniti G35 3.5L P0014: Exhaust Valve

Customer Question

2007 Infiniti G35 3.5L
P0014: Exhaust Valve Timing Control Performance (Bank 1). ... P0014 and P0024 (exhaust valve timing control bank 1 and bank 2).and P0011 Engine oil is full and engine oil has been changed to make sure the proper weight oil is in engine. Has anyone had any experience with these codes and can you help. I have put a lab scope on.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! With these codes, the most common problem is due to the Back Timing cover gasket. Let me explain. The intake timing operation works off oil pressure. There is a passage on the back timing cover to send oil to the intake timing sprockets. Now there is a plate with a gasket on the back timing cover that fails and when it does, you loose oil pressure to the intake sprockets which affects exhaust valve timing. The only way to correct this is to remove the front timing cover gasket and replace the back timing cover gasket. Here is a image of the location of the back timing cover gasket. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Back%20timing%20cover%20gasket.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/back%20timing%20cover%20gasket%202.jpg If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how much cost that job
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
That job costs around 1500 If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put a motor cleaner to try and clean an gunk that may be in the oil. We also did a oil change.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have a blown back timing cover gasket, that won't help.
Does it seem better?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1500 repair costs complete engine. or buy another complete engine less miles per 750 on eBay.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you advised me to do.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how to replace timing cover gasket 2007 Infiniti G35. video And tool needed
Thanks,
Ernesto
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
timing cover gasket is only one.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnW2NclDbi0 This is a engine out of the car where the front timing cover is removed and he shows you the back timing cover gasket or the plate where it's located as well. The gasket you showed me is a front crank seal. Not related to your issue. Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How many hours of labor those this job will take ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
around 13 hours
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could you send me the part numbers for the parts I need to do this job ? Do they sell them separately ? And where can I buy them. Thanks
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I would need your vin number, plus with this type of job, once you pull the front timing cover you never know what you may find with in the timing chains. So you always run risk of needing additional parts.
These parts are dealer item only. The back timing cover gasket is only 11 bucks.
How many miles do you have on your car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
JNKCV54E27M908940. 84842 miles
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Are you the original owner? If you are not, how many miles were on the car when you brought it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We are the second owner. We bought the car with those same miles.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
So you just more or less brought the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we just bought it and haven't moved it until we fix it.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
So it had this issue when you brought it.. correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. With your vin I was able to look up some information.
This car back in January of this year was at the dealer for a running issue. The dealer did some wiring repair. But this is what is odd.
Austin Infiniti is who worked on the car for the running issue back in Janurary, but they have the mileage at 27001. You are saying the car has 84842? Something is wrong with this picture.
Hang on..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes , it's the mileage the car has now.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok.. CarFax shows the correct mileage. They must have entered the wrong mileage.
Was this engine replaced? They mentioned that there was wires run incorrectly and it was not running right on it's last visit to the dealer. I also don't see to many oil changes in it's history.
Is this Blake from Tx?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No this is not Blake. We don't have that information unfortunatey. What do you recommend we do ?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well I am happy I did find some info on this car. I would monitor the intake timing and attempt a exhaust valve timing relearn and see if it accepts it. This this is a coupe and a Manual Trans, if you do have a back timing cover gasket issue, you need to get the whole back timing cover. I think this may have been a sedan. But since you have a Sport Coupe, it may require more scanner work to determine if the front timing cover needs to be removed to see if there is a issue there. Also, if I recall right, the car recently had a oil change done. Please check the oil level to make sure it's correct. Make sure the engine has not been running for about 10 mins before checking. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been researching online and a technician from Infinti was saying that
its only the v36 engines that are prone to the fault paper gaskets. Mine is
a VQ35DE which does not fall in the V36 category. Could the P0011 just be
the solenoid
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
A 2007 is a V35. That is the model style. The coupe for 2007 used the 3.5 VQ35DE engine. This engine does have the back timing cover gasket issue as I was explaining. V36 models started in 2008. In 2008, the coupe was no longer using the 3.5. That was the first year they put the 3.7 engine into it. You will need to remove the front time cover. It's not going to be a solenoid. You would be wasting your money if you start putting solenoids and the small front timing covers. The last person I helped with this, was quoted 4k dollars to have everything done. When I told them what I am telling you to have them check the gasket and if it's blown, only change the gasket, they paid 1500 or something. So I saved them a ton of money. Thanks Jay!