Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti G35: I have an infiniti g35 2005 4 door sedan.a

Customer Question

I have an infiniti g35 2005 4 door sedan.
a little over 180k miles.
Oil needs to be changed but i recently had a nasty rattling noise come up which sounds like an old truck about to shut off or something.
It is an obvious noise at a constant speed between 20-40 mph
It is also heard during acceleration and recently while being in park and being revved.
its gotten louder since it started.
any helpful information in what to look at?
My mechanic said a truck had the same noise problem ad the whole engine had to be switched out.
any useful information on how to avoid this?
He also suggested the problem being some pump, oil change, engine problem or a camshaft?
I also looked into it, others say timing belt which was also suggested or other parts in the motor.
I love going fast in the car as well. Would that be a good source to where the problem started?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your Question. Most common for Rattling and making the engine sound louder is the exhaust flang in the rear for the muffler rots away and breaks. So when your driving, the two pipes rattle and of course since the muffler is no longer hooked up, it sounds louder as well. That is the most common. But if you can take a video clip of the noise it's making, that would be better for me to give you a idea on what it could be. Is that possible?