Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti QX80: I need to jump start my wife's QX80 from a car

Customer Question

I need to jump start my wife's QX80 from a car charger...where do I attach the Ground?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! When you jump start a car, when you attach the cables you want to connect them to the car you are jumping first. Always connect Positive First, then negative. You can connect the cables right to the Positive terminal of the battery and the Negative terminal of the battery. Then once you have it connected to the vehicle you are going to jump, with the other vehicle that is running, you want to hook up the positive first, then negative. Turn off AC or Head lights on the car you are using to jump cause those are electrical loads. You want to allow as much voltage you can to get to the car you are jumping. Then depending on how dead the battery is, you may need to leave them hooked for 10 to 15 mins before attempting to start. If the battery was simply weak, you could attempt to start it right away after cables are hooked up. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm trying to start it from a batter charger. The Infiniti manual says not to attach the ground to the battery terminal, but to the frame?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You can use the terminal. We charge batteries all the time from the terminals. The key thing is not to over charge it. Also, if you didn't know, your battery has a 4 years or 60k mile warranty. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!