Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti G35: I have a G35 2004 Infinity. The car sounds like

Customer Question

I have a G35 2004 Infinity. The car sounds like it is in a lower gear when driving. The transmission seems to go through the gears alright and the RPMs match what I would expect. Running 75-80 Im running about 2700-2800 RPMs although it sounds like its running in a lower gear. Ive also went through the gears manually using the triptonic and everything seems to shift properly. I had the car serviced and a new set of tires put on the car about the same time I started hearing/feeling the change in the car. The car has 60K miles and never had a problem. The transmission fluid level is fine and clean. Am I crazy or is there something else I should be looking at doing.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is*****'m happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you! Is this a coupe?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. There are two things that came to my mind for your issue. First is this, I have seen before where customers think the transmission is reving high, when it's not. It's actually a bad wheel bearing growling which makes it sound like the engine is reving at a lower gear. So let me leave you with that thought first. 2nd thing that is common is that the inside thread of the tires get choppy and can growl just like a bad wheel bearing. So if you turn the wheels and you feel the inside of the tire has up and down type of a choppy tread feel, then you could be dealing with a tire issue. Now, wince the car is not awd it's hard to determine which it could be. So there is a few things we can do to try to isolate it. How handy are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
pretty handy. I would rather communicate via text
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am off line for the night. I will offer you additional service tomorrow if you like. I will be online around noon time tomorrow est. Thanks Jay
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
It's fairly easy to try to determine the noise. If your driving, and you are listening to this noise, does it get louder as you slow down?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Then lets drive the car and get up to around 40 to 50 mph... Then lets put the car into neutral and coast... See if the noise changes. If it doesn't then you are most likely looking at a wheel bearing issue. Take note when you put it into neutral the Rpms will drop to around 750 to 800 and the transmission will not be engaged to give you any type of high rpms as if you were in gear. Give that a try and let me know what the car does.