SuperDave
SuperDave, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  over 16 year experience
10552493

I replaced the blower motor resistor last year and that fixed

Customer Question

I replaced the blower motor resistor last year and that fixed the AC problem, now the fan motor itself has been working intermittently... I could physically hit the motor housing and cause it to start blowing again, but seemed to get weaker and weaker by the day... Now, it will barely turn and makes a ticking noise
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
When you replaced the resistor you should have replaced the blower motor.The blower motor caused the resistor to go out because it is drawing too much amperage.You need to replace the blower motor now.
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
_________________________
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
David, I'm not so sure if I replaced the resistor or the fan amplifier...but there are literally dozens of people on forums that had the exact same issue that I had, and they replaced the same part that I did and it fixed their problem immediately... How do I know that the same part didn't just blow again? How can I be sure the fan motor is bad? I don't have a meter to put on anything... But would the fact that I could tap on the motor housing and fix it (for a few days) indicate that the motor was going bad? Now I get almost no air at all and when I tap on the fan motor, I can sometimes hear it clicking as if it's spinning really slow? Or does that have something with it not getting enough voltage (or amperage)? I'm just not at the luxury of buying a bunch of parts to try them out. Thanks,
Jeff
Oh yeah, it's a 2001 Infiniti QX4
Expert:  SuperDave replied 1 year ago.
By you taping on the fan motor tells me the motor is bad.The motor is worn out.Whenever you replace the blower motor resistor you should always replace the motor too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It actually was the fan amp that I changed... Could that have gone bad this soon because the motor was going bad? I just want to make sure i am getting what is going to fix the AC before I order the fan... I can't afford to replace everything right now if it's not necessary. I have to tackle the MAF sensor and possibly catalytic converters next!
Thanks again for your help!
-Jeff