Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 with 245,000 miles - owned

Customer Question

Hello, I have a 2001 Infiniti QX4 with 245,000 miles - owned since brand new, so incredibly happy with it. Generally in good shape all around, but now the back end wobbles past 45 miles and hour, sometimes violently. Been reading online and appears this might be the "death wobble" / "death sway"- I want to keep her running to 300k miles plus, but concerned about the cost of this one. Stabilizer / control arms??? Just reading on forums...seems a common problem on these vehicles, but glad it took to 245k miles, but concerned on what the fix is and cost. I have an appt to drop at my local infiniti dealer this week. Thoughts?
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did not see where to put in my email for the response and credit card has already been processed.
Please send response to***@******.***
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** Thank you for your question.
That wobble comes from the rear trailing arm bushings. These rubber bushings fail over time and age and when they go, the back end of the truck feels loose and wobbles back and forth when driving. Here is a image of where the bushings fail.
The upper arms are the ones that go first. I would start with the upper arms, and if you still have a issue, the do the bottom two arms.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/rear%20trailing%20links.jpg
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Expert:  Jay replied 10 months ago.
Don't forget to Rate me if your Satisfied with my help. I hope I have provided you with Excellent ServiceThanks Jay!