Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Have a 2009 infinti g37x sedan. looking intake

Customer Question

hello have a 2009 infinti g37x sedan. looking for the intake cam timing degree. i borrowed a scanner and need to check if thats my problem. right now B1 is 27.4 degree and B2 is 27.4 degree at idle, basically need to figure out if my B2 cam sprocket is
bad
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Are those the intake timing readings at idle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Is that fully warmed up? Those are both high readings at idle.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Are you getting some sort of code also?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
P0345
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At coolant 201 degree- b1 7.1 b2 7.2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jumped to 27 both of them
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
That is odd, the timing is even high for 7.1 or 7.2.... How many miles on the car?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
103x light turned on vdc slip lights on. Shifts hard
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Shifts hard? Hmmm..
Can we continue this later this evening? My lunch is over and I need to get back to work.
I am normally online around 6 or 7 pm EST and online till 10 or 11 pm.
Can we continue then?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's going to be tough. I have to return it back at 5pm. What do I need to test? I'm guessing getting reading under load, idle, start up? Let me know what else I need to check.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could a flywheel be a cause and how would it cause it?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Is this car a stick?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automativ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Time is a bit sgirt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have a lot of time left
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Well I want to be able to spend time helping you but I am currently working. That is why I ask if we can continue later this evening.
Is that possible?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It could be possible but what should I get readings for? I have to return it and I can't get it back
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, I didn't realize this was a rental scanner and it had to go back and that is what you meant by time.
Did this car have any type of major engine work before this happened?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I talked to you before. http://my.justanswer.com/question/index/d93c0e123cc64c59b00db1521b66d85a?al=1&utm_source=sys&utm_medium=email&utm_content=viewr_ln&utm_campaign=answer_notify_ppq_a&r=ems%7C2015-03-18%7C325%7Cln=viewr_ln
Needed to check intake timing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the rear timing gaskets due to p0021
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Since you have been in the timing area, either the timing is off 1 tooth on each side, or your intake timing sprockets are bad.
When you did the timing chain work, did you disable the fuel system and turn the engine over to build oil pressure up first?
If you didn't, it could have jumped a tooth or two.
You are going to need to remove the front timing cover again, and check your timing. If your timing is good, then you need intake sprockets. If the timing is off, then I would set the timing and re-assemble. Unless you want to replace the sprockets anyway so you know it can't be anything else in there. That is up to you.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a vacuum leak contribute to the problem. Or the flywheel. Idk if it's damaged or not for the hard shifting.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Vacuum leak really won't affect the timing.
I can't see the flywheel being a problem, unless it was removed and installed for some reason.
There is a TCM update for Harsh Shifting.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a autel maxisys. Would that be able update the tcm
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am not familiar with that scanner to be able to tell you. It would have to have the software on it for the Harsh Shift update. Which I know is on the Dealer scanner. I have done a ton of them.
It's highly unlikely that the scanner would have the software to for the harsh shift.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this may be random but, could this part 15200-EY00A or 15200-AR000(idk which one it is) cause the problem. i remember noticing that it was missing on one side. heres a pic 15200N
http://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/diagrams/large/V36/135_C002.png
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Yes, Those are the Screens. You need to have those to filter the oil so nothing jams up the sprockets.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how come the hard shifting happens when the p0345 code comes on. would it make sense to update the software. how would they be related.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Cause the cam sensor also causes a engine speed signal code. Since it looses engine position signal. When it finally sees it, that is when you get that hard shift.
Thanks Jay
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Jay!