Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti QX56: yes, I'm trying to find the root cause of the

Customer Question

yes, I'm trying to find the root cause of the flickering dash, I paid to have it fixed on Ebay before, but I want to know what is actually failing.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** Thank you for your question.
Is it just the cluster that flickers? Please explain the flickering to me does it do it with the engine off? Do you have intelligent cruise control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No...it does do it with the engine off. It also does it mainly with the lights on...I do have intelligent cruise control. If you google youtube...there are dozens of people that have the same problem and different offers to fix the problem. I want to know what part is failing. The repair I paid before fixed the problem, so I know it's in the instrument cluster.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I am aware of things like this, I just would like to see what yours is doing so I have the proper direction.
If you turn the lights on at night, and turn the dimmer all the way down, do they still flicker? Does it seem to happen more when it's raining or after it's rained?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Nothing to with the dimmer or rain. Yes...it still will flicker.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Then you may have a internal short in the ICC laser for the intelligence cruise control. Do you use the cruise control?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Not that often...maybe one in 6 months....I used it when t h e dash lights go out...so I know how fast I'm going. Where is the ICC last located. I know how to solder and trouble electrical components. I also have the service manual...looking it up now.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The Laser is up front of the truck. On the Passenger side area. I would go in through the passenger fender area and unplug the laser and simply see if the dash light issue stops. If it does, then you know the laser is your problem.
Do you think you can do that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Of course....I can pull up the schematic and disable it. Would a active test identify the problem? Looking at the troubleshooting guide now.

Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
A scanner would really be the way to verify if the laser is a problem.